Safebox Not Working Properly
Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:44 PM
When I bought total security it said in the description there there should be 2GB of storage space included.
According to the actual program there is only 0MB allocated.
If I log into my bitdefender account using the web browser it says I only have 256MB allocated.
How can I get this safebox working properly with the 2GB I am entitled to?
Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:09 PM
Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:
If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on
and send me a PM with the download link.
If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.
Have a nice day.
Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:46 PM
If you didn't receive the PM please let me know.
Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:13 PM
It seems to be working now.
I done a repair install and now the correct quota is showing in both the program and the mybitdefender account.
Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:43 PM
Those are great news.
Let me know if you have other questions.
Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:24 PM
I realised that I had used the Bitdefender registry cleaner so I checked the reg cleaner logs and found this.
@="C:\\Program Files\\Bitdefender\\Bitdefender SafeBox\\SafeBox.exe"
After restoring the registry and restarting computer safebox started working again.
It seems that Bitdefenders own registry cleaner broke bitdefenders own safebox.
It seems that bitdefenders registry cleaner is dangerous. I'm now wondering what else it broke.
Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:52 PM
I am going to test this to see if we can reproduce it on our machines.
Thank you for reporting this.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users