Valiant

[resolved]Bitfedender Total Security Scans Nonexistant Z:\ Drive

73 posts in this topic

Hi there. After reading some good reviews about BitDefender I decided to give it a try. The installation was smooth. I started having this weird problem when I scanned my computer. Whatever options I chose for scanning whether Deep, Full, Quick nor Customs it always keep on scanning drive z:/ on which I don't have.

How can it be possible? My hdd's are c:, d: & e plus optical drive f:, so where this drive z: came from? It always resulted on infinite scanning. I patiently waited for at least a day for it to finished whatever it was doing but looks like it was on it's infinite state. Is this a bug? Even if I stopped the scan and close the bd window it still pop-ups and continue scanning that weird z: drive.

Which Windows OS are you running - WinXP, Vista or Windows 7? What Service Pack? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Which Windows OS are you running - WinXP, Vista or Windows 7? What Service Pack? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Window 7 Ultimate X64, Service Pack 1.

I am running Win7 Pro x64 Sp1 and have not experienced the problem you describe. Is this a new installation of BD (sounds like it from your post)? Has this problem always been there or something that recently started? Here are a few things to check:

In Windows Explorer under Computer, is there any drive listed as Z:\ (perhaps an external device or mapped network drive)

post-35640-1304609691_thumb.jpg

What about in Disk Management

post-35640-1304609704_thumb.jpg

Finally, open BD and go to Antivirus-->Virus Scan, right-click on Deep System Scan and select Properties. Then, select the Paths tab to see if there is a drive Z:\ listed

post-35640-1304609981_thumb.jpg

Awaiting your reply,

Edited by nikki605
added questions

I am running Win7 Pro x64 Sp1 and have not experienced the problem you describe. Is this a new installation of BD (sounds like it from your post)? Has this problem always been there or something that recently started? Here are a few things to check:

In Windows Explorer under Computer, is there any drive listed as Z:\ (perhaps an external device or mapped network drive)

post-35640-1304609691_thumb.jpg

What about in Disk Management

post-35640-1304609704_thumb.jpg

Finally, open BD and go to Antivirus-->Virus Scan, right-click on Deep System Scan and select Properties. Then, select the Paths tab to see if there is a drive Z:\ listed

post-35640-1304609981_thumb.jpg

Awaiting your reply,

Thank you for a well written instructions. This is my first time using BitDefender and nope... there are no Drive Z: on my system as what i've stated. I am certain about this because I personally assemble my pc and knows the components of it. To give it a benefit of a doubt, I checked it via your suggestion though there are no drive z: whatsoever on any areas you mentioned. You are running PRO mine is ULTIMATE they are different and no.. the problem only starts after 3 days of installation without any modifications and newly installed programs.

Can you post a screen shot of whatever message/status window comes up that shows drive Z:\ being scanned, please?

You can use the Windows 7 Snipping Tool to capture it, then when you post back you can Browse to the file, upload it then click on the Manage Attachments down-arrow to imbed it as I did in my posts.

Also, see if you can exclude the Z:\ drive in BD. Open BD and go to Antivirus-->Exclusions. Click on the + button, make sure "Exclude by file/folder path" is selected then click Next. In the Exclusions Wizard window, click the Browse button and see if the Z:\ drive is even listed to be selected (it may not be).

post-35640-1304613654_thumb.jpg

If the Z:\ is listed, try selecting it to add it to the exclusions and try the scan again and post back with your results.

If the Z:\ drive is not even listed to be excluded, then I'm going to conclude that somehow, you installation of BDTS was corrupted and we can first try a Repair and if that doesn't work, an uninstall/re-install.

Prior to BDTS, what antivirus/firewall program(s) were installed? How did you remove or uninstall it/them? We may have to work on completely cleaning up any prior installations to avoid any conflicts between programs.

Do you have any other security programs, antivirus, antimalware, firewall, tuneup, etc. programs installed now?

Awaiting your reply,

What does it mean when BD scans my Z:\ drive for hours. I cannot shut the scan down, even with a task manager forced shutdown - the scan just pops back up a few moments after the forced shutdown and keeps going where it left off. Oh yea, did I mention that I don't have a Z:\ drive?!

Using DB total security 2011

Can you post a screen shot of whatever message/status window comes up that shows drive Z:\ being scanned, please?

You can use the Windows 7 Snipping Tool to capture it, then when you post back you can Browse to the file, upload it then click on the Manage Attachments down-arrow to imbed it as I did in my posts.

Also, see if you can exclude the Z:\ drive in BD. Open BD and go to Antivirus-->Exclusions. Click on the + button, make sure "Exclude by file/folder path" is selected then click Next. In the Exclusions Wizard window, click the Browse button and see if the Z:\ drive is even listed to be selected (it may not be).

post-35640-1304613654_thumb.jpg

If the Z:\ is listed, try selecting it to add it to the exclusions and try the scan again and post back with your results.

If the Z:\ drive is not even listed to be excluded, then I'm going to conclude that somehow, you installation of BDTS was corrupted and we can first try a Repair and if that doesn't work, an uninstall/re-install.

Prior to BDTS, what antivirus/firewall program(s) were installed? How did you remove or uninstall it/them? We may have to work on completely cleaning up any prior installations to avoid any conflicts between programs.

Do you have any other security programs, antivirus, antimalware, firewall, tuneup, etc. programs installed now?

Awaiting your reply,

i truly appreciate your response. i don't have any antivirus except bitdefender because i know installing multiple antivirus will create conflicts. is there anyway safer than uninstalling a program through control panel? common, please don't give me the feeling of i don't know what i am doing. to further convince you, i will post the images later.

i truly appreciate your response. i don't have any antivirus except bitdefender because i know installing multiple antivirus will create conflicts. is there anyway safer than uninstalling a program through control panel? common, please don't give me the feeling of i don't know what i am doing. to further convince you, i will post the images later.

deepscan.jpg

Capture.jpg

diskmanagementCapture.jpg

scannotmovingCapture.jpg

drivezCapture.jpg

after 23 minutes, still scanning drive z:/ ???

after23minutesCapture.jpg

Hi all,

I have created 2 tickets on your behalf and sent you instructions via email on how to start troubleshooting. Please check your email associated with your Forum account and send me the requested info.

@Valiant: Your Ticket id is:201105061007206

@cklimen: Your Ticket id is: 201105061007222

@nikki605: Thank you for your help.

Have a good day!

Hi all,

I have created 2 tickets on your behalf and sent you instructions via email on how to start troubleshooting. Please check your email associated with your Forum account and send me the requested info.

@Valiant: Your Ticket id is:201105061007206

@cklimen: Your Ticket id is: 201105061007222

@nikki605: Thank you for your help.

Have a good day!

thanks for looking on this matter. may i ask what specific info does supporttool.exe file gather and submits?

I have exactly the same problem... if anyone knows how to solve that problem please post it

Bitdefender internet security 2011

I have exactly the same problem... if anyone knows how to solve that problem please post it

First, My apology for not replying on Technical Support email. I found the necessary troubleshooting very time consuming and keeps on asking me to send files on which I am not sure what info's will be included, so I just decided to purchased the latest antivirus of the same product I used before. Much easier and less headache. Wishing BitDefender all the best for their products... I hope you will fix this issue.

Hello,

The issue you described is being work on as we speak and a fix will be release via the Automatic Update module, in the shortest time possible. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience, we rest at your disposal for any further assistance.

@Valiant: Sorry to see you go so soon. Your opinion was sent to the respectful Department. Thank you for the feedback !

@Xinlinyun: Please post in one of the languages we offer Support for: English, German, French, Spanish or Romanian. Thank you for understanding. I have set your post to invisible as I can't understand it nor translate it.

Kind regards,

Hello,

The issue you described is being work on as we speak and a fix will be release via the Automatic Update module, in the shortest time possible. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience, we rest at your disposal for any further assistance.

@Valiant: Sorry to see you go so soon. Your opinion was sent to the respectful Department. Thank you for the feedback !

Kind regards,

Nice to hear you are working on it. Since it came with a 3 computer installation package, I guess I will wait for sometime and installed it on my office computer to see how it works. Will be here in the forum too to keep myself updated.

Regards.

I'm having the exact same problem as described in this thread. I hope BD releases an update soon, or else I may have to switch to another brand, which I don't really want to do.

I'm also having the same problem. Argh.

Same problem here :(

Only solution seems a complete uninstall it just runs forever!

It always reports 0/file per second scan but can't play steamed movies (youtube) uninstall and problem goes away, maybe coincidence?

For the record... I also am having the exact same problem: Windows 7 64bit Service Pack 1

There is no reference to a Drive Z on my computer... so no need to jump through hoops to trouble shoot... Just need Bitdefender to figure it out :)

Same OS configuration. Same problem.

However, the virus scan hanging problem started recently with BD 2010. Customer Support had me upgrade to 2011 (for free), but the hanging problem persisted. Only difference is that the path at which it hung in 2010 is different from the current path on which it hangs.

Incidentally, the path on which it now hangs is "Z:\", however I have an active Z drive, into which it never goes.

Also, in conjunction with this, vsserv.exe is consuming 50+% CPU time.

The most annoying part, though, is the refusal of odscanui.exe to die. Every attempt to kill the scan UI window results in its resurrection about 15-20 seconds later ... or (in Process Explorer) ... an "Access is denied" slap, even as admin.

:angry:

Greeting all,

An update: Horseshrink, I have the same problem - can't kill the scan, it was running for over four hours this evening, had to shut the computer down to turn it off

I finally got around to the support ticket this evening:

I was asked to run supporttool.exe - I did, it never stopped just like the scan. I shut it down after an hour of what seemed like no activity. before closing the App. I was able to save the files generated by the App. to another folder because the original target folder disappeared when I closed the App.

I was never able to locate the SetID entry in the specified Registry directory

I was asked to send a screenshot of the error message - I never had an error message, just a typical scan window showing a scan of my Z:\ drive (which I don't have) that goes on, and on, and on - just like the energizer bunny :angry:

Reporting the same issue.

Windows 7 64, i7 966, 24 gig ram

I saw the same issue this AM. First time this has happened where it says it is scanning "z" drive, but just sits. For over three hours this early Sunday. Cannot stop it. Again, just like stated in above thread just pops back up.

I monitor my BD quite closely, and this is the first time I've seen this.

Now having said this, yesterday, saturday May 7th, I updated to IE9, and also updated my Quicktime to version 7.6.9, updated Adobe Flash to 10.2, and also updated Windows Media Player to Version 12.04601.17414.

Not sure that these updates have anything to do with this, but very odd that this "z" location being scanned only started for me tonight/this morning AFTER updating these programs. Not sure when the last automatic update occured, but I can assure technical that I don't have a "z" drive. I've checked DEVICE MANAGER, WINDOWS EXPLORER, and within BIT DEFENDER

What Gives BitDefender?

Jim

outlawjrjames@outlawjrjames.com

outlawjrjames.com