L.o.D.

Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

1,651 posts in this topic

Well this affected me too, and in a BAD way.

Suddenly some programs were uninstalled, sometimes the instant I tried to start one up it instantly deleted the install folder! My system was sluggish, and the fakealert was blocking EVERY program I tried to open.

To me this problem can't be an update error. Something this serious would NEVER of made it past testing.

My guess would be bit defender has had another security breach, hacked or something....seems like the only logical solution.

In any case this whole incident has now forced me to reinstall Windows 7, and I will NOT be using bit defender again.

we are in a really terrible position now.

we have 150 bussiness clients and most of the pcs which bitdefender thinks everything is virus does not boot any more!!!!

even if it boot_s most of the programs does not work!!!

I disabled antivirus realtime-scan from the Management Console and I am removing it from all the pcs!

I dont think I will install them again!!

THIS THING SUX!

Good news...

if youre not too far down the drain already and if Windows Installer is still active and working (if not, try to fix it). you can uninstall bitdefender and run a system restore. This worked for me and as of now i will hold off on reinstalling bitdefender until this crap is dealt with.

Shame on you bitdefender team. have fun dealing with this screw up.

has anyone managed to shutdown and so a system restore boot?

I managed to stay alive (at least seems so) after rebooting. When I noticed that bitdefender started finding those trojan fakealerts I plugged out my internet. Then I wanted to do a full scan, which (thank god) failed to start. Then I restarted my computer, managed to get back in, but it still said every file is a virus. Then i started googling with my sisters mac and found this thread. I disabled real time scanning and I could restore most of the files, about the rest of them it says that a file with exact same name already exists.

looking forward to a fix,

Siim

To Support:

How do I get a refund, you guys don't deserve to be in business. I would rather try Norton, Panda, or whoever else becasue something like this is inexcusable.

Wankers!!!!!

I have the same problem, it went so far i can't startup anymore !!

Thank you biddefender

Hello all, I had this happen to me to one computer today, and the computer bacame unsuable.

I was able to use system restore to get back to a useable state. From there I can access bd, turn off autoscan and updates (for now) and see the quarentine.

To get to system restore, you press f8 right before windows boot_s, just after the bios screen (takes some good timing). Then you can choose to repair windows, and system restore is one of the options.

My experiance with system restore in the past is that it doesn't always work, so I realize this might not work in every case, but it might work for some people.

Oh, and disconnect your network cable before rebooting (or turn off your router, whatever keeps it form connecting to the internet, or you might just be doing the same thing over again. (until the update is pushed out, anyways).

_cheers

Geez, I near brained my 9 year old son thinking he surfed to some crap and infected my system. Fortunately mine only went as far as quarantine a dozen files - mostly WoW and the system TWAIN drivers. I've disabled BD completely at this point and will watch this thread for a confirmed fix. I am also on Windows 7 64bit.

Funny seeing the excuse about false positives. Duh, of course any AV can produce false positives. This is an application defect unequivocally. The irony is that the anti-virus is behaving like a virus LOL! Though, it's is mislabeled as a Trojan. It's more like a worm infecting the whole system until it is non-functional.

This really is ridiculous - can anyone recommend a decent virus scanner?

Wow I was working on an major project in 3dsmax when this.... pandemonium happened.

It's pretty funny cause now my system wont boot and I cant work.

If I had different temper I would be probably raging right now.

also posting in epic thread

Just toasted my Win Vista x64 OS. Fortunately I always install two OS copies on the same computer. Fortunately I turned off Bitdefender on the other computers so I only lost one.

This could rank up there with the worst disasters in AV history. It could toast more computers than even the worst virus did this year.

I wonder if someone inside BD deliberately toasted the update? Disgruntled employee?

Either way the incompetence is inexcusable. This is worse than 2 years ago when MS released an XP service pack that toasted any computer with Norton running.

I am switching all of my computers at work and home out of Bitdefender immediately. I manage 10 computers at my office ,and have 4 at home..

Note to self, AV's not to use ever again as long as I live: Norton, Bitdefender

Trend Micro here I come...

I think people are jumping the gun here though.

If the files are quarantined, they can be restored when a fix is applied.

But if you have it set to auto delete stuff, you are being foolish.

If you think that it is foolish, why should it even be an option? Don't berate people when they are in crisis mode. Is there a recommendation from

BD that it is unwise to autodelete everything? Should a user expect BD to screw up and flag every file on your system?

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Thank godness I quickly came here to read the forum for help. I disabled ALL Bitdefender services except Updates and restored all files that needed to be restored. After that I rebooted and Windows 7 automatically fixed itself after two reboots and it works fine now.

This is really terrible. I moved from Kaspersky to Bitdefender as I thought it is better. They better compensate us for what has happened. I really sympatise with the guy with 150 customer computers.

system restore totally worked, slowed my comp down somewhat...idk why it would but it did, im happy im back up and running. hopefully this will not ever happen again. im just happy i dont have to killdisc and reformat anything, i was all ready and everything to do it...so glad restore worked

Easy for you to say...

BD has quarantined even itself for some people and some innocent people rebooted their computer and can't even start windows or do some kind of repair which for some of them means reformatting the computer.

Some were lucky to be fast but some weren't and this is really a pain in the ######.

I can't find all the files in the quarantine for some reason even though I don't have it to auto delete the files.

If they don't fix this fast we have no real time protection from BD at the moment which makes us vulnerable so stop taking it way to easy because some are trying to take it calmly but when someone comes and makes it sound like no biggy it's very annoying.

+1

The update is now available on the BitDefender Update Servers. Please make a BitDefender update and the problem should be fixed.

Cris.

Geez, I near brained my 9 year old son thinking he surfed to some crap and infected my system. Fortunately mine only went as far as quarantine a dozen files - mostly WoW and the system TWAIN drivers. I've disabled BD completely at this point and will watch this thread for a confirmed fix. I am also on Windows 7 64bit.

Funny seeing the excuse about false positives. Duh, of course any AV can produce false positives. This is an application defect unequivocally. The irony is that the anti-virus is behaving like a virus LOL! Though, it's is mislabeled as a Trojan. It's more like a worm infecting the whole system until it is non-functional.

No such luck...

Without any other means to access the internet after EVERYTHING was being quarantined (even windows explorer) I formatted my HDDs and I've just reinstalled windows. Now that I managed to go online I found these threads and I can't even begin to express how ###### I am about this whole thing.

A false positive is one thing, but Bit Defender managed to create much larger problems to the community than most PC viral outbreaks.

Herman, you need to chill.

ANY & ALL antivirus software & antimalware tools can have a false positive!

There's an option for all of them to allow the user to check the files to be sure first for a reason!

Even though my own damage was massive I have to agree with that.

I've been jumping around several av products every other year, trying to find the best one, and I really had nothing but compliments, well, until now. I still remember my days of mcffee. Boy, now that is one f****d up product. The jolts bitdefender has sometimes, that one has them on a daily basis. Plus, it doesn't even detect some of the most obvious virus, that bd detects heuristically without even updating.

The thing is, today, it detected too much.

Still, although the work I will have restoring all files I hadn't backup in a few days will be well, overwhelming, nothing was really lost, as fortunately I'm not "foolish" enough to set the auto-delete on. (How the heck does that option even exist anyway?)

I'm not actually thinking of turning to another av after this is solved, as the competition doesn't really have much to offer me, but I am expecting your QCD to learn from this one, and kick that quality control guy once in a while.

Keep up the (good, preferably) work, and excuse me if was too aggressive in my other post.

Seeing both my pcs in the ER at the same time almost gave me a heart attack too lol

You have to realize that majority of the people are not computer gurus like some of us are.

Exactly! People who are computer savvy enough to weed their way through this and get their systems working again are in the minority. What about all those people out there that bought BitDefender at their local Best Buy, Fry's, etc, and aren't computer savvy enough to know what's going on, or to come here and read up on forum threads?

All those thousands of people are probably s*** outta luck, and either faced with rebuilding their OS from scratch, or taking it to someplace like the Geek Squad to fix it or rebuild it for them.

I work in customer support, and there is a big difference between savvy users (who are in the vast minority) and your average end user. If BitDefender doesn't make what fix they come out with BULLETPROOF for the average end user, then those users are going to be absolutely screwed by this.

Where do I go on the '10 edition to turn off auto delete?

In the quarantine window there's a settings button at the bottom.

Just toasted my Win Vista x64 OS. Fortunately I always install two OS copies on the same computer. Fortunately I turned off Bitdefender on the other computers so I only lost one.

This could rank up there with the worst disasters in AV history. It could toast more computers than even the worst virus did this year.

I wonder if someone inside BD deliberately toasted the update? Disgruntled employee? Its too much of a coincidence that this happened right when most BD employees are home on the weekend.

Either way the incompetence is inexcusable. This is worse than 2 years ago when MS released an XP service pack that toasted any computer with Norton running.

I am switching all of my computers at work and home out of Bitdefender immediately. I manage 10 computers at my office ,and have 4 at home..

Note to self, AV's not to use ever again as long as I live: Norton, Bitdefender

Trend Micro here I come...

I disabled the AV but i've got over 15,000 files in quarantine I'm trying to restore but a lot of the files say "Failed to find the specified path" mostly for files in System32 but also elsewhere. What am I suppose to do with those?

How do we get a refund from Bit Defender for screwing us up like this? I have no intention of using Bit Defender from now on, I'm now looking for a different Internet Sequrity App.

How do I disable realtime protection ? Help!