Rano

Windows Vista Users Please Read - Vista System Pack 2 Update Files Blocked

67 posts in this topic

too late - BitDefender removed.

This has been happening too often - I can't take the stress ...

You didn't answer my question, what happens with the people that already did the SP2? Do I have to do the SP2 update again so I make sure there are no problems?

When did you install SP2? It's possible you received the BD update before installing it.

Sometimes I really wish I would take my time and wait for other people to install new updates. Sadly I'm usually one of the people who tries stuff out first and as a result of this issue with BD I have been left with a trashed laptop after installing SP2. System restore failed for me so I had no choice but to rebuild the machine.

I'm so glad that I didnt install it on all of my machines and if it wasn't for the fact that I recently renewed BD I would now be uninstalling it and ditching it for another product.

I think BD owes me and anyone else in this situation an apology and possibly compensation in some way for the time I've had to spend rebulding my machine! Surely (obviously not) someone at BD would have tested the release candidate for SP2 on a machine with BD and spotted this issue before the final SP2 was released?

Edited by LoneGunman

Hello AndreiRC,

If you did not receive any type of notification from BitDefender of certain files that were quarantined then it means that you installed SP 2 for Vista after the update in BitDefender was released. In this case it means that SP2 was installed successfully and you do not need to take any additional steps.

I installed SP2 some 40 minutes ago. BD signalled a file in Windows\winsxs\Temp\Pending Renames with some Troj.Heur virus before the computer restarted for the update, and the file was quarantined. During the install, I got no messages that there were any problems.

Now I took the file out and all is fine. But I'm worried that the update might've been screwed up.

Edited by AndreiRC

Pending Renames was the file in question - but I did get the black screen lock on the restart ...

with those who have the files in quarantine, do we just restore them? (after we have updated bitdefender)

(bitdefender 2008)

Edited by bjproc

I did an uninstall and a re-install of SP2, just to make sure. Everything went fine. The file in question disappeared on its own after the computer did a system restore.

Well i want sp2 and won't take the chance of messing up my pc. Thank You to the guys that posted here. I think its a mess to have a av program do that and am sorry to hear it. But i will remove bitdefender and take no more chances with it.

Hi

problems like this with an antivirus programme are common and if you want to uninstall it due to this, you would end up with no antivirus on your system.

Edited by hemanth

Hi there - while posting on this forum please make use of proper English. IM or lazy writing such as (sry instead of sorry, not using the right punctuation signs, etc) will not be tolerated. It's not nice to have other people spending time on deciphering your words, especially taking into consideration that everybody else tries to write as correct as possible.

Really well I am sorry for you not being able to understand my post. I did not think this was English class, and also on the net we have many abbreviations that everyone uses. I do try and stay away from them here if you had noticed my other posts you would have seen that. But I am quiet sure everyone understands sry, I made a mistake I apologize to you T-B0N3. I guess since your program messed up big time you chose this way to try and belittle someone well it did not work. I would personally try to help some of the people here and not worry about there education, myself I have no problem with English but you have to understand your answer includes all of your users some may not speak English well or understand punctuation due to limited education, Your comment is a poor poke at those people.

Thank You for your Response

Really well I am sorry for you not being able to understand my post. I did not think this was English class, and also on the net we have many abbreviations that everyone uses. I do try and stay away from them here if you had noticed my other posts you would have seen that. But I am quiet sure everyone understands sry, I made a mistake I apologize to you T-B0N3. I guess since your program messed up big time you chose this way to try and belittle someone well it did not work. I would personally try to help some of the people here and not worry about there education, myself I have no problem with English but you have to understand your answer includes all of your users some may not speak English well or understand punctuation due to limited education, Your comment is a poor poke at those people.

Thank You for your Response

Quoted for emphasis.

And now for a bit of humour. I'd like to know perfect english and grammar but I am too busy trying to fix all the problems your program is causing to have the time to fully spell out all my words.

HeHe

Hi there - while posting on this forum please make use of proper English. IM or lazy writing such as (sry instead of sorry, not using the right punctuation signs, etc) will not be tolerated. It's not nice to have other people spending time on deciphering your words, especially taking into consideration that everybody else tries to write as correct as possible.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ...over?

Hi

problems like this with an antivirus programme are common and if you want to uninstall it due to this, you would end up with no antivirus on your system.

I don't think it is fair to say that problems like this are common, it basically corrupted the install of a service pack and left some computers unable to boot up. That really is unacceptable when you are paying for a program to protect you from catastrophes.

Really???? This is what you guys are concerned about, people not using abbreviations that 99% of people reading the forum would have understood. There are hundreds of people running BitDefender today who can't even boot into Vista because of this mistake, and THIS is what you guys are worried about.

So, I installed SP2 last night on my x64 Vista SP1 and got the error something like "0xc000034 amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ive-blackbox-d..."

I tried to use the vista disc for system restore, but no restore points were found! Could anyone tell me what to do because my system will not let me boot up to uninstall bitdefender. I'm going to try and manually remove bitdefender files.

Could anyone help because I don't really want to reformat the computer....

So, I installed SP2 last night on my x64 Vista SP1 and got the error something like "0xc000034 amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ive-blackbox-d..."

I tried to use the vista disc for system restore, but no restore points were found! Could anyone tell me what to do because my system will not let me boot up to uninstall bitdefender. I'm going to try and manually remove bitdefender files.

Could anyone help because I don't really want to reformat the computer....

I had the same issue as well.

Edited by Keith Weisshar

Hi well after windows runs a major error like that you can try different fixes but they never seem to work fully .You can never say its fully fixed as performance will suffer. I own a pc business I sold my customers bitdefender they updated to sp2 also i have 15 systems sitting on the floor now which I will format and reinstall at my own expense its the only way to make sure it has a good install. Windows xp had a repair option but vista does not have that. I hope it all goes well for you.

Is there a way to manually remove bitdefender? Manual as in not using the bitdefender uninstaller. I'm actually imaging my drive at the moment with nero ghost because i'm going to try and "upgrade" my vista.

Does anyone how if it's possible to reinstall vista without losing data like you could do in xp?

I was hoping i could "upgrade" my vista, but I'm already using ultimate.

Sorry for double posting, but i can't seem to find the edit button.

Is it possible to execute the bitdefender uninstaller through command prompt when booting from vista dvd?

The one way to do this if you need the information from the drive is , unplug the drive that has vista use a different drive install vista on it ,then plug the other vista drive in as slave and copy what ever information you need from it

Hi guys,

I too was bitten by this one. It hung during the installation, and system restore showed no restore points.

After several hours of messing around, I managed to get SP2 installed without having to reimage my drive. Here's how I did it:

1. Remove drive from your computer.

2. Connect drive to another machine using a USB enclosure or similar device. This is so that you can view the contents of the drive.

3. Browse to the ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine folder. You should see a bunch of .bdq and .xml files.

4. Find the XML file that contains the following file name: 5458b6349bdec901622f00003401280f.x86_microsoft-windows-s..ive-blackbox-driver_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18005_none_0b5dfb3fa4f88147_spsys.sys_95b9c9e3.

5. Rename the .bdq file that has the same name as the .xml file you just found. If there are more than one .xml files that contain the same name, then rename the .bdq file that has a size of 699KB.

6. Open up a new Windows Explorer window and browse to \Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames\ on your connected drive.

7. Change the owner of the PendingRenames directory to yourself: right-click on PendingRenames -> Properties -> Security tab -> advanced button -> Owner tab -> Edit button.

8. Copy the renamed file in step 5 to \Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames\.

9. Power down your drive and put it back into your original computer.

10. Start up your computer. The install should now go through properly.

And optional step:

11. Uninstall BitDefender.

That's it! It's pretty involved, but at least it was less time that it would take to reimage my machine and reinstall everything again. I'll blog this in more detail with a few screenshots and post the link up tonight.

Hope this helps someone else avoid my pain!

-Rich.

Edited by code-monkey

Blah1234,

Historically, Windows works best if installed on a clean system, upgrades are usually problematic. If there were no restore points on your system then that feature might have been turned off for some reason.

At this point you might be better off copying the data off your system and doing a fresh Vista install. If you are familiar with Linux or know somebody who is then download and burn the latest Knoppix or Ubuntu ISO. They support the NTFS system which will allow you to copy the data off your system to another hard drive or a network share.

Now might be a good time to check out the Win 7 Release Candidate b7100. You can grab a copy from Microsoft.com and use it until March 2010 at which point it will only run for two hours at a time until June or July, then it expires.

Win 7 is really nice, I've been working with it since early beta and am quite impressed; and this is a huge compliment coming from a Linux expert, I am no fan of Microsoft. My system is dual boot Vista and Win7. Even if BD destroyed my system beyond recovery I still had another working operating system to go with.

Hi guys,

I too was bitten by this one. It hung during the installation, and system restore showed no restore points.

After several hours of messing around, I managed to get SP2 installed without having to reimage my drive. Here's how I did it:

2. Connect drive to another machine using a USB enclosure or similar device. This is so that you can view the contents of the drive.

3. Browse to the ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine folder. You should see a bunch of .bdq and .xml files.

4. Find the XML file that contains the following file name: 5458b6349bdec901622f00003401280f.x86_microsoft-windows-s..ive-blackbox-driver_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18005_none_0b5dfb3fa4f88147_spsys.sys_95b9c9e3.

5. Rename the .bdq file that has the same name as the .xml file you just found. If there are more than one .xml files that contain the same name, then rename the .bdq file that has a size of 699KB.

6. Open up a new Windows Explorer window and browse to \Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames\ on your connected drive.

7. Change the owner of the PendingRenames directory to yourself: right-click on PendingRenames -> Properties -> Security tab -> advanced button -> Owner tab -> Edit button.

And optional step:

That's it! It's pretty involved, but at least it was less time that it would take to reimage my machine and reinstall everything again. I'll blog this in more detail with a few screenshots and post the link up tonight.

-Rich.

Nice,

I think that might work. The only thing is my OS drive is set up in Raid. So it'll be a bit troublesome hooking it to another computer.

Do you happen to know any live windows cd that I could work with? I know there live cd of linux, but those can't read NTFS filesystem right?

Hi guys,

And optional step:

-Rich.

What should we rename the .bdq file to?