Chilibob

Scan Failed To Execute

275 posts in this topic

Hi, I purchased BitDefender Antivirus 2009 a while back, and initially, it worked fine. But now I've noticed I can't run a scan at all. No deep scans, no quick scans, nothing. I've restarted my computer and tried again, but it still won't scan. Everything else works fine (as far as I can tell, at least). Not really giving me any problems otherwise. Any suggestions?

Edited by JBR

We have a patch that I would like you to try - I have sent it to you by e-mail a couple of minutes ago. Please try to use it and see if you are able to scan after running it.

We have a patch that I would like you to try - I have sent it to you by e-mail a couple of minutes ago. Please try to use it and see if you are able to scan after running it.

Hi Diana - I have the same problem.

I am unable to initiate a scan from the security center. (I can start a manual scan from the start menu). This is a recent change -- the program used to work perfectly. I have tried re installing BD as well as net-framework 3.5 SP1. It still will not scan.

Can you PLEASE send me the Patch to try?

Thank you.

Hi Diana - I have the same problem.

I am unable to initiate a scan from the security center. (I can start a manual scan from the start menu). This is a recent change -- the program used to work perfectly. I have tried re installing BD as well as net-framework 3.5 SP1. It still will not scan.

Can you PLEASE send me the Patch to try?

Thank you.

Also....I am using Vista Ultimate - 32 bit - FYI

@happydog

I have sent you an e-mail with the patch - please reply to it with the results whenever you have the time. :)

I have the same problem. Downloaded a patch that fixed the update problem but can't scan still :(

OS-WinXP SP3

@happydog

I have sent you an e-mail with the patch - please reply to it with the results whenever you have the time. :)

Diana - I have not received your email nor the patch. Could you please check it's status and/or send it again.

Thank You

Diana - I have not received your email nor the patch. Could you please check it's status and/or send it again.

Thank You

I received your PM. Please see my message response......can you change the suffix of the file to something besides ".exe"? I think it will get by gmail's filters if you do.

Thanks

I too seem to have this problem on my VISTA home premium 32-bit. Could you send me the link as well

@berreke

Please tell me if you are able to run a scan using these steps: go to Start - Programs - BitDefender 2009 - BitDefender Manual Scan. I will need to know if the scan launches like this. Also, please tell me if this is a recent issue or did you have it immediately after installing the product.

Hi, I purchased BitDefender Antivirus 2009 a while back, and initially, it worked fine. But now I've noticed I can't run a scan at all. No deep scans, no quick scans, nothing. I've restarted my computer and tried again, but it still won't scan. Everything else works fine (as far as I can tell, at least). Not really giving me any problems otherwise. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem and was able to resolve it by running following command int the program directory uiscan.exe /regserver.

Hope this will help you as well

I received your PM. Please see my message response......can you change the suffix of the file to something besides ".exe"? I think it will get by gmail's filters if you do.

Thanks

I was able to open And install the file you sent. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem.

I cannot scan from the security center, and when I select "fix" or "fix this issue" nothing happens. The indicated problem is that I have not scanned for malware in 45 days.

I can scan from the start menu....but it does not reflect back to the security center.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you

Steve

Edited by happydog

Diana

I am having the same problem as Berreke, but when I got to Start>Programs>BitDefender>Manual Antivirus Scan it works. But it doesn't when I open BitDefender up. And I am also having a few other issues woth BitDefender Total Security 2009, such as turning on my firewall and tune-ups.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Kyle

Hi Diana,

I also have that problem on one of my vista pc's - its has been installed for over a month working fine and has just recently stopped scanning - it has lost the scanning tasks in the system task section.

Would like to have a copy of the patch if it re-instates these tasks

Thanks

Richard

I followed the instructions, extracted and ran the file in Safe Mode, restarted, and it's still doing the same thing. Also, wasn't sure if you needed to know, but I'm using Windows XP SP3.

I had the same problem and was able to resolve it by running following command int the program directory uiscan.exe /regserver.

Hope this will help you as well

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to give this a try.

I feel dumb for asking, but did you do this in Run from the start menu?

EDIT: Never mind, I tried running it by putting in C:\Program Files etc. into it first, but it can't find it when I put the /regserver suffix on the end. When I just try running uiscan.exe, it gives me an "Error initializing threat scanner. Please contact BidDefender support" message.

Edited by JBR

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to give this a try.

I feel dumb for asking, but did you do this in Run from the start menu?

EDIT: Never mind, I tried running it by putting in C:\Program Files etc. into it first, but it can't find it when I put the /regserver suffix on the end. When I just try running uiscan.exe, it gives me an "Error initializing threat scanner. Please contact BidDefender support" message.

No I used CMD.

then go to the directory where bitdefender is installed usually c:\program files\bitdefender\bitdefender 2009

then run uiscan /regserver.

Hi Diana, I have had the same problem every few months. Usually I uninstall then reinstall. Could you email the patch to me too.

Thanks

QUOTE (Diana Bele @ Mar 13 2009, 05:37 AM)

We have a patch that I would like you to try - I have sent it to you by e-mail a couple of minutes ago. Please try to use it and see if you are able to scan after running it

Hi Diana,

Me too i need the patch as i face the same issue and this is from the time I installed Bitdefender ... and i can start manual scan ..

Will the patch solve it ?

Mark

Hello, all. I just joined the forum because I was having trouble with BitDefender 2009 (Vista 32 Home Premium). Guess what, I can't initiate a scan!! I see that the problem appears to be quite commone here!! WTF??? I've only had BitDefender installed for a few weeks, is this the sort of trouble I can expect from BitDefender? Perhaps I made a bad choice when I selected BitDefender.

No I used CMD.

then go to the directory where bitdefender is installed usually c:\program files\bitdefender\bitdefender 2009

then run uiscan /regserver.

Ok, I did this in CMD, and I had to approve the actions through my firewall, so I know it went through.

Still no luck on getting a scan to run, though. Even after restarting my computer.

Hello!

I was experiencing a similar problem with BitDefender AntiVirus 2009 on a Windows XP Home SP3. I also had a seamingly not related problem with my network connections, when I tried to open their Properties a small dialog saying that a "unexpected error" has occurred showed up and no properties window appeared. Both these errors made me think the Registry was corrupted in any way.

The problem with scanning in BD AV 2009 started when it said the services weren't working, the Threat Scanning Service was down, etc, etc. I uninstalled AV 2009, ran the uninstall tool to clear everything and it gave me an error when cleaning some registry settings. That's when I thought the Registry was damaged. I tried everything, installing again, uninstalling again, cleaning again but to no avail. I even tried to reset the Registry permissions as per a Microsoft article using the Subinacl utility, but it also gave me a error saying it coudn't access the Registry keys. Then I was sure it was the Registry.

I managed to install AV 2009 and get the services to start again, even automatically. But even then, everytime I tried to start a scan a dialog saying that wasn't possible to start a scan showed up and about 1 min later another dialog saying that the scanning services failed to respond in time. That was the problem I was having with AV 2009. Real-time worked, but on-demand didn't. I gave up on that, was set to reinstall Windows.

Today I needed to access configuration on my network connection, same "unexpected error" dialog. Looked for a solution, this MS article solved it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824923

Then it ocurred to me to try a on-deman scan with AV 2009. It worked!!!! It could run scans again!! :D

Basically, the article said to execute 2 commands (register again 2 DLL files). I ran these 2 commands on Start->Execute, each at a time:

regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\netshell.dll

regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\ole32.dll

Restarted Windows after the second, and both problems were gone.

I guess you can give it a try, basically it only re-registers a couple DLLs. I think no harm done anyway. Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Ricardo

Edited by rpa

[ .....

Basically, the article said to execute 2 commands (register again 2 DLL files). I ran these 2 commands on Start->Execute, each at a time:

I guess you can give it a try, basically it only re-registers a couple DLLs. I think no harm done anyway. Hope it helps.

... ]

I noticed that JBR is running XP and although I'm running VISTA I thought I'd give JBR's method a try. For what it's worth, the procedure accomplished nothing for my computer - I still have the same 2 problems - BitDefender is tellng me I've never scanned my machine, and as adamant as the software is about needing to scan my machine, I can't initiate a scan :)

[ .....

... ]

I noticed that JBR is running XP and although I'm running VISTA I thought I'd give JBR's method a try. For what it's worth, the procedure accomplished nothing for my computer - I still have the same 2 problems - BitDefender is tellng me I've never scanned my machine, and as adamant as the software is about needing to scan my machine, I can't initiate a scan :)

There are three or four threads relative to "no scanning" on this forum. Has anyone received a solution to the problem?

The patch they asked me to try failed to work for me. I then received a request from BD tech support to send them various files for analysis This was two days ago and I have not had a reply to that information.

Is there a solution?

Thanks

Steve

There are three or four threads relative to "no scanning" on this forum. Has anyone received a solution to the problem?

The patch they asked me to try failed to work for me. I then received a request from BD tech support to send them various files for analysis This was two days ago and I have not had a reply to that information.

Is there a solution?

Thanks

Steve

I received a recommendation from tech support...here is my reply -

"Diana - The solution did not work. I followed your instructions exactly, removing two programs, uninstalling and then reinstalling bitdefender. The program still fails to scan from the security center.

Do you have any solution or will I have to change vendors to get a product which works.....?

Thank you - please advise.

Steve"