Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windows Vista Defender Turned Off With Bd 2008...why?
Bitdefender Forum > > Workstation
Jerome Mrozak
When I installed BD 2008 Anti-Virus (the cheap package, w/o the BD firewall), the installer suggested that I disable the Windows Defender program. At least that is how I remember it.

I looked at the Windows security center. It says that the Bit Defender Antispyware package is running and that Windows Defender is not.

Does this mean that these two programs are doing the same task, and that only one of them should be working? In that event, do I need something like AdAware or SpyBot?

Finally, I see that the Windows Firewall is still running. BD doesn't do anything to that, right?

Thanks for answers,
Jerome.
bluesprite
Hi Jerome,
Windows Defender is a real-time anti-spyware program and because of that, it could possibly cause conflicts with the real-time protection of BitDefender, or at least make your computer very slow. BitDefender also protects you against spyware, so indeed they both do the same thing. You may use other anti-spyware programs but keep any real-time protection (other than BitDefender's) disabled and only run on-demand scans once and again.
Niels
Hello Jerome Mrozak

What bluesprite said is right.

The reason why the windows firewall is still running is because the default firewall will still be enabled when there isn't another firewall installed. Which is the case now because you have the BitDefender version without firewall.

Best regards
Niels
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.