Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Icon In System Tray Quick Fix For Some
nitrous
post Sep 26 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,111

Ok, For 2 Weeks I have been trying to figure out if the Red BitDefender Icon in the System Tray was Bitdefenders error or MS Windows error. I have come to the conclusion that once I updated to Windows XP SP3 My troubles began. Here is the Fix that instantly made the BitDefender Icon return to System Tray.

Click: Start, Run, and type "services.msc" hit enter. Scroll down and find: Terminal Services. right click and go down to Properties and open it up. Change the Start up type to : Manual, then click the "start" button. hit "apply" at bottom and ok, then close windows, and you should instantly see the Icon in the System Tray. Hope this helps some people

Nitrous (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Niels
post Sep 26 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #2

BitDefender Evangelist

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 59

Hello nitrous,

Thanks for posting this solution. I posted in this topic some more things you can try to get the icon back in the system tray. But you solution I didn't know yet.

Kind regards,
Niels

+Quote Post
user555
post Sep 26 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,874

Thanks it worked

+Quote Post
lutz
post Sep 26 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #4

Regular Poster

Member No.: 2,390

Great, it's working too now on my XP SP3 machine! But still no activity bar...

+Quote Post
gking
post Oct 10 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,870

QUOTE (nitrous @ Sep 26 2008, 03:35 PM) *
Ok, For 2 Weeks I have been trying to figure out if the Red BitDefender Icon in the System Tray was Bitdefenders error or MS Windows error. I have come to the conclusion that once I updated to Windows XP SP3 My troubles began. Here is the Fix that instantly made the BitDefender Icon return to System Tray.

Click: Start, Run, and type "services.msc" hit enter. Scroll down and find: Terminal Services. right click and go down to Properties and open it up. Change the Start up type to : Manual, then click the "start" button. hit "apply" at bottom and ok, then close windows, and you should instantly see the Icon in the System Tray. Hope this helps some people

It worked! I was confused at the step... "Manual, then click the "start" button"... that was not available at that time but I ignored it and went to "... hit "apply".
I rebooted and the icon showed up in the sys tray.
Thanks so much.

+Quote Post
roadtorode
post Nov 17 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,594

QUOTE (nitrous @ Sep 26 2008, 07:35 PM) *

Excellent. That got it.

+Quote Post
Satan
post Nov 18 2008, 05:30 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,772

I had this problem tonight, and realised the tray icon disappeared after I disabled Windows Defender. I re-enabled Windows Defender to autostart everything etc. and after logging off windows and back on, the BD icon reappeared (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Talk about flaky ...

Extra info. I found on the way:
I also had the vsserve.exe preventing the running of the BD control panel, I ended vsserv.exe in Windows Task Manager and manually re-ran it from C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009 to fix that. That's when I noticed the BD Tray Icon missing and fixed as above...
The rest is history, and fixed. I hope this helps all you lost souls out there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Don't go screwing with the registry guys, it's futile and dangerous.
Also, while I remember, the File Zone/Net Zone Activity bar only shows if you leave the BD Control Panel on the "Advanced view", even if the box is checked and you return to basic view, the Activity bar vanishes.
And if you stop a system scan at all, you get a critical marker on the tray icon, but the option to monitor this is ONLY available in the Basic view and not in the Advanced view.
Flakier than a leper's hat if you ask me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 07:15 AM