> Bitdefender 2010 Suggestions
Eric
post Dec 18 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #21

Regular Poster

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 2,193

BitDefender Services No Longer Responding

I've noticed that sometimes after BitDefender has automatically downloaded updates, services stop responding. Double clicking on the BitDefender icon brings up a window that states that BitDefender Services have been temporarily shut down due to an update. There's nothing I can do for it to start responding again. I then have to restart my computer so that BitDefender runs correctly.

This is a huge security flaw, as I'm not sure, but I think the firewall stops responding. Basically, if BitDefender fails to update itself for some odd reason, BitDefender should try applying the update again upon the next bootup of Windows. Without a way to restart BitDefender Services automatically or manually, we are left at risk while BitDefender has stopped responding.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eric
post Dec 20 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #22

Regular Poster

BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport - Hardware Installation

When installing drivers for my Ralink Wireless N Adapter, BitDefender repeatedly popped up a window in which XP asked if I wanted to continue with the installation since NDIS Filter Miniport had not passed WHQL testing. This is strange, because it says it's trying to install BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport. What is NDIS FILTER MINIPORT, and why is BitDefender monitoring installations? I've seen this before while installing drivers for other devices. BitDefender NDIS Filter Miniport has nothing to do with my installation of drivers, so why do I receive warnings about it? I think this needs to be fixed, as I don't want to continually have to click allow during installations when the drivers themselves do not flag WHQL...

+Quote Post
Cris
post Dec 21 2008, 11:25 PM
Post #23

BitDefender Evangelist

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Eric @ Dec 20 2008, 10:04 PM) *
BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport - Hardware Installation

When installing drivers for my Ralink Wireless N Adapter, BitDefender repeatedly popped up a window in which XP asked if I wanted to continue with the installation since NDIS Filter Miniport had not passed WHQL testing. This is strange, because it says it's trying to install BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport. What is NDIS FILTER MINIPORT, and why is BitDefender monitoring installations? I've seen this before while installing drivers for other devices. BitDefender NDIS Filter Miniport has nothing to do with my installation of drivers, so why do I receive warnings about it? I think this needs to be fixed, as I don't want to continually have to click allow during installations when the drivers themselves do not flag WHQL...

BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport is the device driver that is used to monitor and control network access. Basically, it's the base for BitDefender Firewall.

This driver is installed and configured for every network adapter (and maybe other devices supported by this driver, like probably modems), as seen in this screenshot:
Attached File  BD_NDIS.jpg ( 101.03K ) Number of downloads: 7

For this reason, you will get those alerts whenever you install network cards.

BitDefender is not monitoring any installation, and those alerts are not directly generated by it. Also, those alerts will not appear when installing other software.

Cris.

+Quote Post
Eric
post Dec 27 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #24

Regular Poster

That's great, but BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport was interfering with my drivers. My internet would disconnect and reconnect. I disabled BitDefender from my startup, uninstalled the drivers, and reinstalled the same drivers, and now the adapter works perfectly. My adapter doesn't disconnect and reconnect. Thus, I think this feature should be improved so that it does not interfere with Ralink's Wireless N USB Adapters.

For the devs:

The download for Ralink's USB drivers is here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html (USB RT2870/RT2770
/RT307x)

However, I've also noticed that once I re-enabled BitDefender after installing my drivers for my adapter, the firewall has not been working properly. The LeakTest.exe from GRC is able to connect. The firewall doesn't even give me notification that it's trying to connect even though it's set to Report, and there is no rule set for LeakTest.exe under the rules tab.

Why is it getting through?

Check these screenshots:

http://www.dinofly.com/images/bd1.jpg
http://www.dinofly.com/images/bd2.jpg
http://www.dinofly.com/images/bd3.jpg

This post has been edited by Cris: Dec 28 2008, 10:54 PM

+Quote Post
Cris
post Dec 28 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #25

BitDefender Evangelist

Questions:
QUOTE (Eric @ Dec 27 2008, 11:57 PM) *
That's great, but BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport was interfering with my drivers.
QUOTE (Eric @ Dec 27 2008, 11:57 PM) *
However, I've also noticed that once I re-enabled BitDefender after installing my drivers for my adapter, the firewall has not been working properly.
Answer:
QUOTE (Cris @ Dec 22 2008, 12:25 AM) *
BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport is the device driver that is used to monitor and control network access. Basically, it's the base for BitDefender Firewall.

In simple terms, BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport, as it's name states, IS the core of BitDefender Firewall, without which no traffic can be monitored/filtered! What you see in Security Center is just a simple interface. It just shows what the firewall is doing... if you removed the firewall (because removing those drivers actually means removing the Firewall), it's logical that you won't see any activity from the Firewall's side.

And this is the big mysterious reason why this driver is installed only for network cards: because it's monitoring the traffic made by network cards.

Yes, maybe there was somekind of problem between the drivers and your specific network card. Try to reinstall the Firewall drivers (follow the steps described here: http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB391-en--Firewa...ity-issue.html). If the problem persists, contact LiveAssistance, or support by mail.

Cris.

+Quote Post
Eric
post Dec 30 2008, 04:08 AM
Post #26

Regular Poster

QUOTE (Cris @ Dec 28 2008, 03:02 PM) *
Questions:
Answer:

In simple terms, BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport, as it's name states, IS the core of BitDefender Firewall, without which no traffic can be monitored/filtered! What you see in Security Center is just a simple interface. It just shows what the firewall is doing... if you removed the firewall (because removing those drivers actually means removing the Firewall), it's logical that you won't see any activity from the Firewall's side.

And this is the big mysterious reason why this driver is installed only for network cards: because it's monitoring the traffic made by network cards.

Yes, maybe there was somekind of problem between the drivers and your specific network card. Try to reinstall the Firewall drivers (follow the steps described here: http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB391-en--Firewa...ity-issue.html). If the problem persists, contact LiveAssistance, or support by mail.

Cris.

Thanks a lot Cris. Those steps worked like a charm. You're much faster than email support. I still haven't received a reply from them...

Even so, I think BitDefender ISS should utilize another method of monitoring internet communications through network adapters. Other suites can and may not interfere with certain drivers as well, but many don't have popups stating that some component, i.e. BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport, has not passed WHQL testing every few steps of the way while trying to get Ralink drivers installed. I think it popped up five to six times while trying to install my adapter. How many popups are normal? You'd think one installation of BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport would be enough...

Let me know, and again, thanks a lot for your helpful replies, Cris!

+Quote Post
Cris
post Jan 1 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #27

BitDefender Evangelist

QUOTE (Eric @ Dec 30 2008, 05:08 AM) *
Even so, I think BitDefender ISS should utilize another method of monitoring internet communications through network adapters.

A driver installed along the network card drivers gives assurance that the traffic can be monitored/controlled, whatever the source/destination is, because it monitors the traffic made by the network card, not the traffic made by specific applications. If you remember, BitDefender v8 and v9 (Pro Plus) didn't have any controlling capabilites, except for applications. Once Internet Security was introduced, with driver-based firewall, it's capabilities became much better.

Other suites can and may not interfere with certain drivers as well, but many don't have popups stating that some component, i.e. BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport, has not passed WHQL testing every few steps of the way while trying to get Ralink drivers installed.

As I said, those messages are not displayed by BitDefender, nor by the installer. They are thrown by Windows XP itself, to warn you that non-WHQL drivers are about to be installed. It's not very much of a problem because it's assumed that you only install your network card once, not every day. So just click "Continue anyway" (or whatever the approval message is), and move on.

Also, this check can be disabled, if you really want to, so Windows won't check about drivers' WHQL. This is done from Group Policy Editor (Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc). I don't know where exactly that option is right now, but if you're interested, google it (or let me know, and I'll search it for you).

I think it popped up five to six times while trying to install my adapter. How many popups are normal? You'd think one installation of BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport would be enough...

One installation of the drivers IS enough. But it's not one installation per system, it's one installation per network adapter. And if your network adapter has multiple functions (lie Ethernet/modem/whatever), then it's one installation per function. As you can see in the screenshot I posted, this drivers is installed 5 times in my system, twice for the two network cards, once for the generic WAN Miniport (you also have this, it's part of the WIndows sockets), and twice as generic Miniports (I'm not sure what their role is).

Let me know, and again, thanks a lot for your helpful replies, Cris!

You're welcome.

And Happy New Year!
Cris.

+Quote Post
Eric
post Jan 3 2009, 02:18 AM
Post #28

Regular Poster

Seccenter.exe Stops Responding

I've also lately noticed that seccenter.exe stops responding at times. I can just sit there with my mouse over the BitDefender ISS icon in the taskbar clicking on it, and nothing happens. I can even right click on the icon and choose show, but nothing happens either. Thus, I cannot modify any security settings, as BitDefender will not show. BitDefender is still actively protecting my machine; I just can't change anything.

To fix the problem, I normally restart my computer. As I'm trying to restart, Windows finally pops up the dialogue stating that seccenter.exe is not responding, and I choose to end it. After rebooting, BitDefender will "show". However, eventually it stops responding.

Any ideas? I've seen this a lot. This comp really doesn't have any problems normally...

+Quote Post
Eric
post Jan 11 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #29

Regular Poster

QUOTE (Eric @ Jan 2 2009, 06:18 PM) *
Seccenter.exe Stops Responding

Anyone noticing this bug? I'm really getting tired of it not responding...

+Quote Post
JGray152
post Jan 12 2009, 07:45 AM
Post #30

Poster

Member No.: 496

Please re-add the exit option which will shut down BitDefender’s protected processes.

They removed it for security reasons. If they add it, this will give a virus the opportunity to exit BD. Especialy if its a new undetectable virus. BS does use Hueristic scan which can detect new viruses but this doesn't always catch them all.

AntiSpyware

BitDefender's AntiSpyware should be improved, as none of my cookies are
ever identified as spyware even though other scanners do. Though cookies
may not be considered "bad" spyware, it's something that should be scanned
and deleted.

Improve the general engine for AntiSpyware.

Agree, the anti-spyware scan is horrible. Never finds anything. Spybot S&D to the rescue!

Vulnerability Settings

Get rid of these settings, as I refuse to download Microsoft updates. It's the security suite's job through antivirus, antispyware, and firewall stealth to protect our computer. Microsoft updates hardly fix anything.

Not true. MS updates fix "holes" in windows to which hackers can snake through. They also fix and update specific system files and processes. I say LEAVE this in. You can configure it to monitor what you want. I find the Windows Update in BD works better than MS Auto Update.

AntiVirus Real Time Protection

When HTTP scanning is enabled under the AntiVirus Real Time Protection Settings (set to Aggressive), do not keep blocking websites that you deem malicious. I'm glad you warned me about my suspicious source for a file (with the possibility of containing a virus), but if I hit refresh again in my browser and try access that page again despite your warning, let me through. BitDefender mislabeled the website, as the file I downloaded was safe, and the file I downloaded contained no viruses according to BitDefender AntiVirus.

This is your own fault for viewing those website. I never have this issue. I believe it only happend to me once or twice, and I added those sites to the exclusion list.

I don't believe this to be an issue with the HTTP Scan. I believe its more of the Anti-Phising department which again, added to the exclusion list...

Spyware Protection?

I don't even think BitDefender protects us from spyware. Please include a decent lightweight antispyware engine. I don't want malicious tracking cookies on my computer, rootkits, keyloggers, or anything else that tracks my data.

Agree, I have other programs for this. Spybot S&D works realy good for spyware, but for REALLY cleaning out your computer, Use CCLEANER. No application is better than ccleaner. I used it the other day on a 1 year old computer. Just in TEMP file, Cookies, logs, other crap files, it free'd up 16,348mbs of space!!!!!!!!!!! Over 16 Gb!!!!!!

I suggested that Bitdefender find what CCleaner does and this would be a HUGE selling point and a security point as well.

BitDefender Forum Suggestion

Let users edit or modify there posts no matter how old the post is. What kind of forum doesn't allow its users to edit their posts?

I can edit mine. LOTS of forums of a time limit as to how much tim eyou have to edit your post before you can not any longer.

+Quote Post
JGray152
post Jan 12 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #31

Poster

Member No.: 496

It's sad when a company doesn't care about their customers. This is not off topic. It's a serious suggestion to revert the forum edit time back to unlimited like it once was.

Wow man. Obveously they do care about the customers. LOTS of forums have a set time limit. I like this feature, if you wan't to change something, just make a new post about the change. No big deal. They are obveously trying to prevent people from posting something and changing their post later to cover up something which could lead a customer in the wrong direction for support.

The stuff you complain about is rediculous. Grow up man. In every thread your in, there is a complaint. Someone could wish you a happy birthday and you would complain that they didn't type it in the right font and color....

+Quote Post
Eric
post Jan 17 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #32

Regular Poster

QUOTE (JGray152 @ Jan 11 2009, 11:54 PM) *
Wow man. Obveously they do care about the customers. LOTS of forums have a set time limit. I like this feature, if you wan't to change something, just make a new post about the change. No big deal. They are obveously trying to prevent people from posting something and changing their post later to cover up something which could lead a customer in the wrong direction for support.

The stuff you complain about is rediculous. Grow up man. In every thread your in, there is a complaint. Someone could wish you a happy birthday and you would complain that they didn't type it in the right font and color....

First off, please do not post here in this thread any more unless you have a suggestion. You are obviously ignorant, and I'm glad you think everything is perfect with BitDefender; however, it's not, and the non-responsive seccenter.exe is driving me crazy.

There are programs that will always be able to kill BitDefender's processes. It's sad that I have to download a utility to end processes. I want the option.

Oh, and about the forum posts being uneditable, why is it that the consumers must fork over all their rights to privacy and changing their posts when the company gets to hide what ever it chooses? Ever look at it that way.

Any way, you made my dad; glad to see why nothing ever progresses in a good direction.

+Quote Post
Eric
post Jan 25 2009, 07:11 AM
Post #33

Regular Poster

BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport Stops Working

Since I run a network bridge that is controlled by the Wireless Zero Service, I sometimes need to delete the bridge which separates my wireless from my LAN connection, and I sometimes need to reenable the bridge. BitDefender doesn't seem to like these constantly changing adapters, as BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport stops working on any adapter after changing it multiple times.

I then have to refer to: http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB391-en--Firewa...vity-issue.html

To get the firewall working again.

This is a huge security risk!

I cannot afford for my firewall to ever stop working even if I change some of my connection settings by either deleting or re-bridging two network devices.

I can tell the firewall doesn't work when LeakTest.exe is able to penetrate the firewall and BitDefender fails to alert me.

I think BitDefender ISS should utilize another method of monitoring internet communications through network adapters on the firewall end.

+Quote Post
Eochaid
post Feb 4 2009, 05:33 AM
Post #34

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,593

I would also like to add my 2 cents worth with my complaints about the 2009 bit defender.

First of all, I would like to say I really do like Bit Defender, even despite its flaws. I love the new vulnerability checks, as the bit defender updater for windows works quite well. Second of all, the anti-virus protection is great and the active scanner has never given me problems, only blocked threats that would have doomed me.

However, among all the other suggestions offered previously, I don't really like the interface for the Total Security Suite. If there are multiple issues to be "fixed", I noticed that the "fix all" option opens up multiple windows all trying to perform their tasks at the same time. Instead of making these task separate and therefore time consuming to have to babysit while they perform, I suggest creating an interface in which each problem can be automatically fixed one by one without unnecessary user interaction. While I detest Norton with all my heart, I have tried their Norton 360 product and do agree that the interface is clean and easy to use.

Second of all, the newer interface in Bit Defender 2009 has made scheduled scans completely pointless. If a scheduled scan is missed (because unlike many people I do not keep my computer on 24/7) it will not resume the scan on next boot, which would be my preferrance, instead it just bugs you every 6 days that you haven't performed a scan. Sometimes I want to throw up my arms and say "why don't you friggin scan then!" Obviously, these two complaints are more out of my laziness than anything, but it would help to provide for less advanced users (who I do sell your software to on occasion) because they simply want their AV software to do whatever is necessary and not bug them constantly about it. Your scanning engine is much quicker, and normally is barely noticable in resource consumption in all but the most intense applications, take advantage of that!

I do agree that spyware protection should be improved so as to remove tracking cookies and harmful spyware programs. On one occasion (early in BD 2009's existance) a hotel's website infected my computer with the ever popular Fake-AV and Virtumonde varients. Bit Defender not only failed to block the attack, it was also easily corrupted by the attack and failed to scan. I know it is incredibly difficult to design active protection to block these very quick and tricky spyware attacks, but considering spyware is now the biggest threat to computer security, it is incredibly important for Bit Defender to have really good anti-spyware scanning and active protection definitions. I am used to most AV/Suite programs not having adequite Anti-spyware protection, however, and so I have been using on-demand spyware scanners to get rid of tracking cookies and minor spyware threats, but I would love to see Bit Defender to be one of the first to have great AV and AS protection.

Finally, there are the plethora of bugs that I've noticed in the software, some of which have been noted in this forum. I never really had nearly as many issues with previous versions as I've had with this one. Bit Defender simply gets corrupted very easily, even by something as simple as it's own update. I've had to reinstall bit defender 5-6 times in the year that I've had it, because either I got the "Bit Defender Services are Not Responding" error or seccenter.exe stopped working, or it would never recognize that a scan was completed, or various other issues. Obviously there will always be bugs to any software program, but it is always a necessity to produce a new version that is more stable, not less stable, than the last one.

This post has been edited by Eochaid: Feb 4 2009, 06:05 AM

+Quote Post
Eric
post Feb 7 2009, 01:37 AM
Post #35

Regular Poster

QUOTE (Eochaid @ Feb 3 2009, 09:33 PM) *
Finally, there are the plethora of bugs that I've noticed in the software, some of which have been noted in this forum. I never really had nearly as many issues with previous versions as I've had with this one. Bit Defender simply gets corrupted very easily, even by something as simple as it's own update. I've had to reinstall bit defender 5-6 times in the year that I've had it, because either I got the "Bit Defender Services are Not Responding" error or seccenter.exe stopped working, or it would never recognize that a scan was completed, or various other issues. Obviously there will always be bugs to any software program, but it is always a necessity to produce a new version that is more stable, not less stable, than the last one.

Agreed. The seccenter.exe problem has still not been resolved. It's driving me crazy, as when it stops responding, my computer is completely open to threats. That and the fact that disabling and re-enabling my wireless bridge makes the firewall useless until I run the steps offered by BitDefender's Support to re-enable the firewall.

+Quote Post
Eric
post Feb 17 2009, 06:40 AM
Post #36

Regular Poster

Please fix the unresponsive seccener.exe! It's driving me crazy....

+Quote Post
Eric
post Feb 19 2009, 07:06 AM
Post #37

Regular Poster

Perhaps BitDefender could be more compatible with Blue Tack's Blocklist Manager:

Just google Blue Tack, and it's the .co.uk website.

I'm about to start using Windows Vista, and I do not want it spying on me:

Google Windows Vista Spying to see what I'm talking about.

+Quote Post
Eric
post Feb 23 2009, 02:14 AM
Post #38

Regular Poster

Just tried using BitDefender on my laptop, and it slowed my entire system to a crawl. BitDefender is using low resources on the laptop, but it's slow. I've tried it on my sister's laptop, and I got the same result. Looks like BitDefender 2009 runs really slow on laptops? Sometimes my laptop freezes for minutes, and I am unable to do anything. Laptop mode is enabled...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 12:16 PM