post Jun 1 2007, 05:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,835

Hi all,

After changing the system file as mentioned by BitDefender Support

1. Go to "C:\Program Files\SOFTWIN\BitDefender10";
2. Locate bdpredir.sys and rename it to bdpredir.s_;
3. Restart your system and try to update again - the update process will install the fix.

My computer run quicker about 5 minutes then freezed again for 10min+ (may be BitDefender scanned in the background), it used up 98% of CPU, I could not do anything at all. Does anyone know how to improve this problem, it's quite frustrated everytime you turn on your computer.

Many thanks

AT474
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Niels
post Jun 1 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #2

BitDefender Evangelist

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 59

Hi at474

You can try this open BitDefender go to antivirus,shield,adjusted level, check the option don't scan files larger then .... (you can change the default value). If you are sure that a path isn't infected you can exclude it by selecting the option don't scan this path on all levels,press add new item. You can also uncheck scanning inside archives. Don't forget to confirm by pressing on ok.

Regards
Niels

+Quote Post
garyinri
post Jun 4 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 714

QUOTE (at474 @ Jun 1 2007, 12:01 AM) *
After changing the system file as mentioned by BitDefender Support

1. Go to "C:\Program Files\SOFTWIN\BitDefender10";
2. Locate bdpredir.sys and rename it to bdpredir.s_;
3. Restart your system and try to update again - the update process will install the fix.

Does this file still need to be renamed? I was under the impression that one of the last major updates (8 May?) corrected this problem so that renaming was no longer necessary.

+Quote Post
Niels
post Jun 4 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #4

BitDefender Evangelist

Hi garyini

Normally it's fixed but if you have still issues than you may rename bdpredir. That is mostly the case when you have a slow internet connection. Take a look here : http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB344-en--The-Bi...rnet-lines.html

Regards
Niels

+Quote Post
Guest_Mihai_*
post Jun 5 2007, 11:51 AM
Post #5

Guests

I don't think the system's slowdown has anything to do with the update (or the slow internet connection). To rult this out you can disable the automatic update and see for 1 day if this happens again. It is very likely to be a comflict.. in this case you should get in touch with the support.

http://www.bitdefender.com/KB95-en--Asking...assistance.html

+Quote Post
Niels
post Jun 5 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #6

BitDefender Evangelist

Hi Mihai

You are right. But since that update your pc will freeze when there is an update available. That is the case for me. The strange thing is that sometimes my pc will not freeze.
The slowdown is mostly due the bitdefender virus shield that is scanning large folders and even scan inside archives. If you take a look in task manager than you will see that the bdss.exe process uses lots of CPU usage sometimes almost 96 % . Which you can reduce by excluding folders or by don't scan inside archives. If the pc still get slow than it could be a conflict with another security program.

Regards
Niels

+Quote Post
at474
post Jun 6 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,835

QUOTE (Niels @ Jun 5 2007, 09:19 PM) *
Hi Mihai

You are right. But since that update your pc will freeze when there is an update available. That is the case for me. The strange thing is that sometimes my pc will not freeze.
The slowdown is mostly due the bitdefender virus shield that is scanning large folders and even scan inside archives. If you take a look in task manager than you will see that the bdss.exe process uses lots of CPU usage sometimes almost 96 % . Which you can reduce by excluding folders or by don't scan inside archives. If the pc still get slow than it could be a conflict with another security program.

Regards
Niels

Hi Niels,

Thanks for your help. I had Zonealarm Pro before installed BD, after installed BD, because of my PC was too SLOW, I removed ZoneAlarm Pro. SHould I remove BD and reinstall it again to avoid conflicts.

Thanks

AT474

+Quote Post
Niels
post Jun 6 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #8

BitDefender Evangelist

Hi at474

That could be the problem. If you want to be 100 % sure than I recommend a complete reinstallation. But normally when you uninstall zonealarm the problem must be gone. If that isn't the case do what I said in my previous post. Glad that I could help you.

Regards
Niels

+Quote Post
khufu
post Jun 6 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #9

Regular Poster

Member No.: 50

Make sure you have done a clean uninstall of ZAP.
Link to Uninstall ZAP

khufu

+Quote Post
RNewton
post Jun 18 2007, 04:20 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,249

QUOTE (at474 @ Jun 6 2007, 06:56 AM) *
Hi Niels,

Thanks for your help. I had Zonealarm Pro before installed BD, after installed BD, because of my PC was too SLOW, I removed ZoneAlarm Pro. SHould I remove BD and reinstall it again to avoid conflicts.

Thanks

AT474

I'm a journalist from the UK and I am looking into this problem also. My experience is of random major slowdowns whilst bdss is doing something - using up all processor resources. Identified that turning off real time protection solved the problem but that rather defeats the object, as does limiting the folders that will be processed. If the suggested solutions of narrowing down the work that BD has to do by excluding folders, are to be taken seriously, this seems to be an action that cannot have any useful benefit, and raises the question: What would be the purpose of turning off or limiting the scope of BD, other than to escalate exposure to risks?

BD appears also to insist on repeatedly scanning files that have only just been scanned. In addition if there is any overlap between the functionality of BitDefender and any other security apps. We observed an instance where a dex engine we had running (x1), caused bdss to have an extremely heavy workload. Attempts to open a folder, browse to a web page or load a program are often caught up in what appears to be a stall, where system response virtually disappears except for function of mouse and keyboard.

I'm not convinced the real time scanning could not be implemented more efficiently and I'm disappointed that there is little or no guidance on how to use BD concurrently with another AV for example.

In our scenario we found that we had to use the real time scanner from Anti-Vir, disabling real time scanning in BD and disabling scheduled scanning in Anti-Vir, whilst in BD, we set that up to do scheduled scans.

I asked one of my colleagues to take a look at BD10 Std and he told me that he uninstalled it because it took too many resources, and caused system to become slow or non-responsive

What is of particular concern to me is that despite these exchanges, BitDefender have made no comment or observations on the points raised here, which clearly are not new.

This post has been edited by RNewton: Jun 18 2007, 04:31 AM

+Quote Post
vladx
post Jun 18 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #11

BitDefender Evangelist

Member No.: 77

In our scenario we found that we had to use the real time scanner from Anti-Vir, disabling real time scanning in BD and disabling scheduled scanning in Anti-Vir, whilst in BD, we set that up to do scheduled scans.

Hello RNewton

Having two antiviruses installed on a computer can cause more trouble than gaining a better coverage in detection especially if both have the Real-time shields enabled because if an malware is detected by both, each other will fight to remove it first causing a conflict.So, you should remove one or atleast keep only one with the real-time scanner enabled and the other as on-demand only.

+Quote Post
AndreiASM
post Jun 18 2007, 06:49 AM
Post #12

Virus Researcher

Group: Bitdefender Labs
Member No.: 853

QUOTE (vladx @ Jun 18 2007, 08:18 AM) *
Hello RNewton

Having two antiviruses installed on a computer can cause more trouble than gaining a better coverage in detection especially if both have the Real-time shields enabled because if an malware is detected by both, each other will fight to remove it first causing a conflict.So, you should remove one or atleast keep only one with the real-time scanner enabled and the other as on-demand only.

This is very true, In addition, BD consumes CPU only when it updates. You ca solve this by deactivating automatic-updates and running 1 or 2 manual updates daily. BD doesn't consume memory. Compared to other security products BD is not memory-eater. It only takes less then 10Mb of RAM. (IMG:http://forum.bitdefender.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Follow vladx's advice and try to stick only to one AV, because 2 can cause conflicts and even system instability. (IMG:http://forum.bitdefender.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Andrei

+Quote Post
Niels
post Jun 18 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #13

BitDefender Evangelist

Hello RNewton

In theory you can install two antiviruses. One only as an ondemand scanner and the other with realtime protection enabled. But the chance is very high that you receive conflicts and high cpu load. Because each antivirus will perform a background scan.What other security programs were running in the background? If you want to reduce cpu load you can also enable the option that BitDefender don't scan files or folder that are larger then... You will not decrease the protection level because BitDefender will not scan these folders in the background but will still protect you from incoming malware. That is also the case when you exclude a certain folder. I don't have a high cpu load of bdss.exe.

Best regards
Niels

+Quote Post
RNewton
post Jun 18 2007, 03:55 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,249

QUOTE (Niels @ Jun 18 2007, 11:14 AM) *
Hello RNewton

In theory you can install two antiviruses. One only as an ondemand scanner and the other with realtime protection enabled. But the chance is very high that you receive conflicts and high cpu load. Because each antivirus will perform a background scan.What other security programs were running in the background? If you want to reduce cpu load you can also enable the option that BitDefender don't scan files or folder that are larger then... You will not decrease the protection level because BitDefender will not scan these folders in the background but will still protect you from incoming malware. That is also the case when you exclude a certain folder. I don't have a high cpu load of bdss.exe.

Best regards
Niels

Many thanks to the three previous respondents. It is a good pointer and I shall return to advise if some momentary stalls and some not so momentary ones resolve. That will be an interesting test because I shall be able to make some comment about multiple programs trying to get control and ending up with Mexican standoffs or circular processing due to files being detected as accessed in one product by another product.

It would appear helpful if guidance on the potential for issues with this approach were given in the help. May I propose that a suitable statement be incorporated into the help file system. It did only occur to me after some time testing two AV products that we may have been suffering from circular processing creating an endless scanning scenario.

Many thanks again for your valuable input on this.

R Newton

+Quote Post
Niels
post Jun 18 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #15

BitDefender Evangelist

Hello RNewton

I agree with you that a warning when you want to install BitDefender near another antivirus and also a mention in the manual is a good idea. You can post in the feature request section of this forum. Softwin will definitely take a look at it. But normally most people know that you better don't install two antiviruses together. Some antiviruses will detect if there already is a antivirus installed.
That is also the case with other security programs. If you enable the realtime part on each of these programs. You will receive slowdowns due high cpu load.

Best Regards
Niels

+Quote Post
Jon_T
post Sep 23 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,439

I cannot remember after which update, I am also now having the same problem with bdss.exe process using lots of CPU usage of 90 - 99% whenever starting large programs (e.g., Photoshop Elements 5.0) and with Firefox.

Do not having any other AV installed on system (Win XP Pro SP2; P4 1.8 GHz; 1 GB RAM) or other resident Anti-Spyware running. Using ZA Pro 5.5.094.00 (behind a NAT/SPI router) with ALL the non-firewall features disabled; i.e., Privacy, E-Mail Protection, etc.

I'm using BD 10 Shield's "Default" settings which does not "Scan inside archives".

Since I have a NAT/SPI router, I setup ZA Pro not to load at startup and used Windows Task Manager to verify none of ZA Pro's processes were running, and still have the problem with bdss.exe process uses lots of CPU usage.

I've been wondering if uninstalling and doing a fresh install would help?

Sorry, I do not see the recommendations to "don't scan files larger than" or "excluding folders" as viable solutions. If these are the only solutions then I'll be looking for another AV product.

+Quote Post
Niels
post Sep 25 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #17

BitDefender Evangelist

Hello Jon_T

Other anti viruses have also the possibility for not scanning certain folders. To reduce the sources usage.
Use this uninstall tool. Reboot your pc. Install BitDefender again.

Best regards
Niels

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 05:06 AM