Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Much Shredding Does The File Shredder Do?
Lee_S
post Oct 21 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #1

Poster

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 103,073

Hello forum,

I have files on my PC with names and addresses of clients that I need to delete after expiry. How good is the file shredder?

I have shredded the files using a free Ashampoo optimiser, which takes ages but claims the files will be totally unrecoverable, even in a pro lab. BD file shredder is much faster, but I don't know if the files will be recoverable.

To what standard are the files shredded?

Thanks,

Lee.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
surban2
post Oct 23 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,751

QUOTE (Lee_S @ Oct 21 2012, 07:39 AM) *
Hello forum,

I have files on my PC with names and addresses of clients that I need to delete after expiry. How good is the file shredder?

I have shredded the files using a free Ashampoo optimiser, which takes ages but claims the files will be totally unrecoverable, even in a pro lab. BD file shredder is much faster, but I don't know if the files will be recoverable.

Thanks,

Lee.

Here is a couple things I found from reviews of Bitdefender File Shredder. The thing I can't tell you is what method they use to destroy the data.

There is a file shredder that completely erases files by writing over them to ensure files are gone and impossible to recover.

Normally deleting files just removes the entry to the file. It will remain intact until another file requires the space. The shredder goes one step further to actually destroy the data in the file before removing it from the file list.

+Quote Post
columbo
post Oct 27 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #3

Elite Poster

Member No.: 4,566

Hi Lee, I found this from Bitdefender's info., the first 2 sentences that may help understand what the file shredder does, and it's concept of "permanent" removal: http://www.bdantivirus.com/bitdefender/tot...vacy.shred.html

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
columbo
post Oct 27 2012, 09:10 PM
Post #4

Elite Poster

Member No.: 4,566

Wasn't able to edit in time, as I was going to say the 2nd sentence was the main insight, as far as the difference compared to file shredding/overwriting software we're more accustomed to. (and not just "deleting")

+Quote Post
Will Wood
post Oct 30 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #5

Regular Poster

Member No.: 28,680

QUOTE (Lee_S @ Oct 21 2012, 01:39 PM) *
Hello forum,

Thanks,

Lee.

It's not built to a DoD secure pattern if that's what you're implying. That requires multiple passes, multiple patterns etc. I use SDELETE most of the time on my unused space. There are other tools that comply with DoD and NSA specifications for secure data deletion but for customer records the File Shredder should be fine or SDELETE.

+Quote Post
marry wilson
post Nov 5 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 118,456

If you want to confirm if the files were deleted permanently or not you can try to recover data using data recovery software, If the software shows the files then they are recoverable. I personally shred files with the help of Kernel File Shredder which uses combination of different file shredding algorithms to securely erase files from memory.

This post has been edited by marry wilson: Nov 5 2012, 02:01 PM

+Quote Post
Georgia
post Apr 3 2013, 04:05 PM
Post #7

Guru Poster

Group: Technical Support
Member No.: 34,114

Hello, rest assured that Bitdefender File Shredder permanently and irrecoverably deletes files/folders.

Please post back if you have other concerns about its functionality.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
Black Dog
post Apr 11 2013, 06:07 PM
Post #8

Poster

Member No.: 7,449

QUOTE (Georgia @ Apr 3 2013, 03:40 PM) *
Hello, rest assured that Bitdefender File Shredder permanently and irrecoverably deletes files/folders.

Please post back if you have other concerns about its functionality.

Thank you.

Hi Georgia,

I think the question remains, to what standard does the BD File Shredder comply? I have a tool called Eraser, which will erase and overwrite files up to 35 times, for the pathologically paranoid! Can you give any further details, such as how many times the BD shredder overwrites?

Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
indie
post Apr 11 2013, 11:08 PM
Post #9

Poster

Member No.: 125,519

QUOTE (Black Dog @ Apr 11 2013, 05:42 PM) *
Hi Georgia,

I think the question remains, to what standard does the BD File Shredder comply? I have a tool called Eraser, which will erase and overwrite files up to 35 times, for the pathologically paranoid! Can you give any further details, such as how many times the BD shredder overwrites?

Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No answers - no use of BitDefender's shredder.

Eraser is good. I use Privazer for it. It's really safe and fast.
Also, I use Privazer for wiping free space.

Attached File  Privazer.PNG ( 80.14K ) Number of downloads: 9

This post has been edited by indie: Apr 11 2013, 11:09 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 10:26 PM