> Installer Won't Continue - Thinks Other Av Installed
Chase
post Feb 20 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94,732

Cloud Security for EndPoints v.4.0.17.20
64bit Windows 7 Professional w/ SP1

When the BitDefender installer starts, I see the following message: "Remove Existing Security Software - In order to continue the installation you have to uninstall these applications: Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Agent"

When I click the "Uninstall existing security software" button, I receive a Windows Installer error stating "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed", and then BitDefender prompts me to reboot. Upon rebooting, the installer reappears, telling me the other AV software still exists and I am stuck in this loop.

Prior to running the BitDefender setup, I removed the Trend AV software and rebooted, so I'm not sure where BitDefender believes this is still installed. Is there any way to tell the installer to bypass this check?

Thank you.

- Chase
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andionescu
post Feb 27 2012, 05:58 AM
Post #2

Regular Poster

Group: Technical Support
Member No.: 71,793

Hi Chase,

Please try searching an uninstall tool for the Trend Micro solution on their website. Probably some leftovers are still present on your computer and Bitdefender detects them.
I will verify and reply later if we can bypass this install step for our security solution.

Thank you and have a great week.

Regards,

Andi

+Quote Post
Chase
post Feb 29 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #3

Hi Andi,

I ran Trend Micro's uninstaller solution provided on their website, rebooted, but continue to have the same problem. I decided to reinstall Trend to see what would happen then when running the BitDefender installer. I saw two Trend Micro products listed as having to be removed. If I click on the provided "uninstall" button, it successfully removes Trend, but when I reboot and allow BitDefender to continue where it left off, it then shows one remaining Trend Micro product as being installed. If I try to uninstall that, it (of course) errors as before.

Keep me posted. Thanks for the help.

QUOTE (andionescu @ Feb 26 2012, 11:58 PM) *
Hi Chase,

Please try searching an uninstall tool for the Trend Micro solution on their website. Probably some leftovers are still present on your computer and Bitdefender detects them.
I will verify and reply later if we can bypass this install step for our security solution.

Thank you and have a great week.

Regards,

Andi

+Quote Post
Chase
post Mar 1 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #4

Hi Andi,

[I accidentally posted this update in my other post you're working on so I apologize for double posting this....]

Quick Update. The following process results in the Bitdefender installer thinking there is a version of Trend installed:

1) Run BD installer - told two Trends are installed. I click the uninstall button which invokes the Trend uninstaller, reboot and BD continues where it left off but still thinks Trend is installed and shows one Trend entry.

2) Run BD installer - told two Trends are installed. If I cancel the BD installer, remove Trend normally via programs list, reboot, and re-run BD installer, I am told there is one Trend remaining (but cant be removed) and one Trend entry is listed (like #1)

From what I can tell, if I run the BD installer before manually removing Trend and rebooting, BD thinks two Trends are installed. Even if I cancel BD installer and remove Trend and then re-run BD installer, it thinks one Trend is installed.

The only way I can successfully install BD is if I:

1) Manually remove Trend and reboot
2) Run BD installer for the first time.

In other words, the BD web installer must only be run AFTER I manually remove Trend and reboot, and at no time beforehand.

Any update on whether or not there could be a way to bypass the existing AV check? Is there a registry setting the BD installer looks to?

Thanks

- Chase

QUOTE (Chase @ Feb 29 2012, 11:36 AM) *
Hi Andi,

I ran Trend Micro's uninstaller solution provided on their website, rebooted, but continue to have the same problem. I decided to reinstall Trend to see what would happen then when running the BitDefender installer. I saw two Trend Micro products listed as having to be removed. If I click on the provided "uninstall" button, it successfully removes Trend, but when I reboot and allow BitDefender to continue where it left off, it then shows one remaining Trend Micro product as being installed. If I try to uninstall that, it (of course) errors as before.

Keep me posted. Thanks for the help.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 05:52 AM