Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Update Bitdefender Offiline In Ubuntu, Update disconnected from the internet
livre1
post Dec 19 2011, 03:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 85,231

My computer is connected to the internet dialup.

I'll have to make the text "separate" because I do not know much English as I am using Google translator and I think the easiest way to read.

1: The database of virus for use with Ubuntu 10.04 and "cumulative.zip" this on: http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bitdefender_v9/ ?

2: The updating and incremental (low little data every time) or the database and downloaded whole again?

3: If I get 10 days without updating, I have to download the entire database again? (For the incremental update will fail)?

I need to know this because I can not download the database that has more than 100 MB every day or even every 10 days, need to download about 1 Mb per day only.

Another question is whether the Linux version (for Ubuntu) can detect all the malware that the Windows version.

The heuristic does not work on Ubuntu or is limited?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catalin Salgau
post Dec 19 2011, 06:03 AM
Post #2

Virus Researcher

Group: Bitdefender Labs
Member No.: 14,578

The cumulative update is useful for initial or large deployments with many computers downloading the same updates.
I would recommend using the in-product update as much as possible. It was designed to work even after a long time(for example installing an older version a few years later)
If you would update only every few days you would probably have less than 1MB per missed day in updates, but this varies from update to update so I can't give you actual numbers.
Downloading the cumulative bases is possible, but as you stated, it's 100MB every time and you don't get much out of it.
As for the detection/heuristics - apart from obviously not cleaning your system of windows threats(since you can't really be infected by those on a Linux distro, can you) engines and detections are on-par with our Windows offerings.

+Quote Post
livre1
post Dec 19 2011, 06:01 PM
Post #3

Hello, just to confirm and I do not get the package the wrong link to the database version of Linux is this: http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bitdefender_v9/

?

+Quote Post
Catalin Salgau
post Dec 19 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #4

Virus Researcher

Group: Bitdefender Labs
Member No.: 14,578

If I'm reading this right and you're using a 32bit copy of Ubuntu, I believe you should be using
http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/update_av32bit/
since this is the update product name used by the Debian build you're using.
Having said that, if you already have the product downloaded and installed, a normal update will probably save you quite some time over doing this. Just give it a try and see how much it says it needs to download. If it's too much to download over your available line, you can cancel it and try the cumulative/downloading it somewhere else.

+Quote Post
livre1
post Dec 20 2011, 04:09 AM
Post #5

Thank you.

And a happy Christmas and New Year.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 11:54 PM