Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vsserv.exe Running Even When System Is Not Idle
Chimel
post Nov 9 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #1

Regular Poster

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 30,957

I have Autoscan enabled, and I expect vsserv.exe to run only when I am not using the computer, as stated in the documentation.
However, this is not happening. It starts running and accessing the hard drive like mad even while I am using the computer.
And once it starts, it does not seem to stop for quite a long time until it's done doing whatever it's doing. Like for a full half hour or more.
I checked that it is not Windows search indexer that's running, it's the vsserv.exe process, usually between 3 to 12% of CPU usage.

I don't know what kind of criteria Bitdefender is using, but it should check mouse and keyboard activity to detect idle times.
With the other disk tasks that I am running, like file downloads, the scans stress the disk too much, and it's extremely noisy too.
It should probably not scan while there is other important disk activity, it makes the hard drive heads constantly move between the scanned files and the other regular files being downloaded or uploaded.

Either this bug should be fixed, or I should be able to disable Autoscan and replace it with a scheduled scan, but I can't because it has been removed from 2012.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Christian
post Nov 9 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #2

Bitdefender Support

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 9,374

Hi Chimel

Vsserv.exe is the main process from our product. It's also the process that handles the scanning processes.

It's normal to run on a machine when is used because it handles the on access scanning, the web protection, etc. Also, during the idle period Vsserv.exe starts the AutoScan process in background.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Have a nice day.

+Quote Post
Chimel
post Nov 10 2011, 02:25 AM
Post #3

Regular Poster

Hi Cristi, my point is that it seems to scan my disks even when the computer is not idle.
I can see it from the constant red LED showing disk access, and I can also hear the disks.
Or does vsserv.exe run disk-intensive tasks other than the scans?
It's no big deal, but Bitdefender Autoscan does not seem to behave according to the documentation.

It does not happen frequently though, and it uses much less CPU than the early 2012 versions (see other threads from August-September), so that's not too bad, I'm mostly concerned with the stress on the hard drives, because it happened while I had other disk-accessing tasks running, which don't cause the red disk activity LED to flash as often, and are certainly quiet operations.

+Quote Post
Christian
post Nov 11 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #4

Bitdefender Support

Welcome back Chimel

Vsserv.exe handles also the on demand and on access scanning.

When you run a software from your machine, all the background processes(drivers, DLL files, etc) loaded in the memory are scanned.

Also all the http traffic is unpacked and scanned locally.

Please make sure that your HDD is defragmented and you should see some improvements.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
Chimel
post Nov 11 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #5

Regular Poster

Yes, but running the exact same programs and Internet browsing pattern rarely generates this kind of disk activity.
It seems to happen very rarely, vsserv.exe usually takes 0-3% of the CPU usage with no noticeable disk activity.
By coincidence, it's doing it again while I am answering this thread...

I am not asking for a solution, just bringing it to your attention, as I am 99% sure this is not working as expected.
I do not have thousands of new or modified files that suddenly require scanning while my system is not idle.
If there was a way to log Autoscan activity, I could maybe check what it does and why if that helps.

I won't focus on that bug, there are many more important ones to me, like the toolbar and the 8 days later manual scan message.
Feel free to escalate or not as you wish, I am embarrassed enough to monopolize all your time! ^-^

+Quote Post
Christian
post Nov 14 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #6

Bitdefender Support

Welcome back Chimel

The Auto Scan is scanning your machine when is not used(no necessary in idle).

Just to give you an example: I use my machine 8 hours / day and the computer is in idle or unused for around 1 hour / day. Only in that moment the Auto Scan does his "job". In the rest of the time, the On Access component from the Real Time Protection module scans all the files that are accessed.

In some cases, depending on what you use to access those files (a specific software or Windows Explorer), you will see some activity regarding vsserv.exe.

Also, please note that even if those files are added to our Smart Cache(files declared clean and skipped by the On Access component), the Active Virus Control still injects in the processes to monitor their activity.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
Chimel
post Nov 14 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #7

Regular Poster

Hi Cristi, I don't mean just when idle, I said when I am typing a document or browsing the web.
I might be accessing a few dozen bitmaps and other Internet cache files at the time, if that much.
But vsserv.exe is scanning tens of thousands of files during the 10-15 minutes it's running high, while I use the computer.
Why isn't the scanner activity logged? At least in some advanced debugging mode, so we know what it's doing and for how long.
Whatever it's doing, it doesn't stop until it's done, and again, it's running intensively while I'm using the computer, which it shouldn't.

+Quote Post
Christian
post Nov 15 2011, 04:49 PM
Post #8

Bitdefender Support

Hello

We can not provide advanced logging for users for 2 reasons:

- it is only used for internal purposes.
- the log will reach up to 10 GB in under 3 minutes(imagine the situation in 15-20 minutes).

If you use the computer, it normal for the On-Access to scan all the files. All the "classic" antivirus engines(the ones that still use definitions, not the cloud ones) use this method to deliver protection for their users.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
Chimel
post Nov 15 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #9

Regular Poster

Bring it on, 10GB, 0.33% of my system drive... ^-^
Never mind, most of the time vsserv.exe sleeps at 0% of CPU usage, and when it does run to 3-12% (or even 41%) for an hour or more at a time (no way to know without logs), which happens several times a day, it usually does so silently, even with disk activity. It is stressing the disk in an obvious manner quite rarely during that 3-12% CPU usage time, and for a much shorter duration than the whole vsserv.exe run.

It's just that with all this v. 2012 simplification and unlogged scanning, it's troubling not knowing what's happening and why, and thus not being able to help Bitdefender improve its products and customer satisfaction.
Obviously, Bitdefender does not consider this disk stress to be a problem, cannot even tell what causes it and does not want to investigate this issue, so I am giving up too. I consider this issue closed and don't need advanced logging.

+Quote Post
Christian
post Nov 16 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #10

Bitdefender Support

Welcome back Chimel

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Since you consider this discussion finished, I will close this topic.

Take care.

+Quote Post
Dragonheart
post Nov 16 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 79,844

QUOTE (Chimel @ Nov 15 2011, 07:49 PM) *
Bring it on, 10GB, 0.33% of my system drive... ^-^
Never mind, most of the time vsserv.exe sleeps at 0% of CPU usage, and when it does run to 3-12% (or even 41%) for an hour or more at a time (no way to know without logs), which happens several times a day, it usually does so silently, even with disk activity. It is stressing the disk in an obvious manner quite rarely during that 3-12% CPU usage time, and for a much shorter duration than the whole vsserv.exe run.

It's just that with all this v. 2012 simplification and unlogged scanning, it's troubling not knowing what's happening and why, and thus not being able to help Bitdefender improve its products and customer satisfaction.
Obviously, Bitdefender does not consider this disk stress to be a problem, cannot even tell what causes it and does not want to investigate this issue, so I am giving up too. I consider this issue closed and don't need advanced logging.

Hi Chimel,

You are not alone! Vsserve.exe has slowed my I-7 running Windows XP service pack 3 using Total Security 2012,down to a crawl often times just setting there cranking doing nothing. My Internet Explorer at times just locks up. It appears that BitDefender has no interest in addressing this problem which apparently has been going on for years. My computer is a business tool, not a toy, so time is money. To have the best computer security in the world is little comfort if I am unable to use the computer!

+Quote Post
Christian
post Nov 16 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #12

Bitdefender Support

Hello Dragonheart

With all the respect, could you please try Windows 7 Service Pack 1 on that Intel Core i7 machine?

You have the extended trial version on Softpedia:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enh...Windows-7.shtml

This copy is genuine. You can test it for free.

Your machine should work a lot faster with the new operating system.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
patton
post Nov 22 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 76,839

Chimel's problem is my problem too..
If i turn on Autoscan, then BDTS 2012 is busy with its own business, eventhough i am in a big memory need (editing huge photo in Photoshop)
if i turn off Autoscan, then it stop doing anything..

Chimel was right. Once Autoscan start, then it wont stop until it finish..
it happened almost 4 hours on my system, whether or not i am idle

+Quote Post
gl89
post Nov 22 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 31,567

Christi:

I replied under a different thread but I have also narrowed the problem to Auto Scan. It scans when the computer IS being used. And I do not mean a light scan. The drive is THRASHING. It is non stop.

CPU utilization is low but a computer is only as fast as it's slowest component. As the drive is fully occupied by Bitdefender, not much else happens except in the few time slices it can find from the drive. Hence the 'slowdown' in everything else.

I look forward to Bitdefender fixing the Auto Scan to only work when the computer actually idle.

+Quote Post
socalsek
post Nov 29 2011, 05:56 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 83,110

I am soooo frustrated. Within the last 3 weeks something dramatic has changed. I often use my computer to download files from my office overnight. They can be large files so I often start them before I go to bed. Suddenly the computer LOCKS UP. I don't mean slows to a crawl, I mean locks up. I can see activity on my hard drive. When I uninstalled Bitdefender for a night, guess what?! No problem. I used this program in the past and it was "okay". I started using Vipre Anti-Virus and it worked well too. When I saw that BD had updated I was excited to come back. If someone doesn't address this issue I'm going to have to say good-bye to BD (and leave my comments in as many forums as I have access to.)

+Quote Post
-e!-
post Nov 29 2011, 06:32 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 21,330

Just wanted to add here, that there are several threads concerning this problem:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=30727 / http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry128446

The solution provided - a new installation - didn't work for me. When disabling Auto-Scan, for example in game mode, my system responds normally and fast. As mentioned above most annoying is the hdd usage by vsserv.exe, as it slows down the system.

Hopefully Bitdefender is aware of that problem?

+Quote Post
mick60
post Dec 18 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 29,048

QUOTE (Chimel @ Nov 9 2011, 10:37 PM) *
I have Autoscan enabled, and I expect vsserv.exe to run only when I am not using the computer, as stated in the documentation.
However, this is not happening. It starts running and accessing the hard drive like mad even while I am using the computer.
And once it starts, it does not seem to stop for quite a long time until it's done doing whatever it's doing. Like for a full half hour or more.
I checked that it is not Windows search indexer that's running, it's the vsserv.exe process, usually between 3 to 12% of CPU usage.

I don't know what kind of criteria Bitdefender is using, but it should check mouse and keyboard activity to detect idle times.
With the other disk tasks that I am running, like file downloads, the scans stress the disk too much, and it's extremely noisy too.
It should probably not scan while there is other important disk activity, it makes the hard drive heads constantly move between the scanned files and the other regular files being downloaded or uploaded.

Either this bug should be fixed, or I should be able to disable Autoscan and replace it with a scheduled scan, but I can't because it has been removed from 2012.

This IS indeed a problem with BD2012, and for a long time. It is not due to OS updates, service packs, old AV products as can be seen from mnay posts and from my own experience. It really does need to be fixed.

+Quote Post
Christian
post Dec 18 2011, 01:20 PM
Post #18

Bitdefender Support

Hello guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I need some logs before we can continue this discussion.

You have all the details here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

Thank you.

+Quote Post
pej
post Dec 18 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 84,804

Hello I also have the same problem on a Vista machine - one of the two Cpu's is running permanently at 100%. This causes the fan speeds to increase as the system stresses.

1) If you turn off autoscan it has no effect but if you then re-boot the system settles down to a 3-4% cpu usage. If you then turn on autoscan the system starts to stress again.

2) I have removed Bitdefender Total Security 2012 and the system is fine, I then re-installed it from the download ~(the first installation was from CD. The problem has reoccurred.

3) I use Acronis to backup the system - the system locks up after about five minutes of starting the backup and the only way out is to re-boot.

+Quote Post
Christian
post Dec 18 2011, 06:22 PM
Post #20

Bitdefender Support

Hello

Please follow the steps described here and send me a log via PM.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

Thank you.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 09:31 AM