Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Server Hangs, Multiple servers hang after installing BD for fileservers
wally.nl
post Sep 5 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,958

Since installing bitdefender for fileservers (3.5) on part of our DFS server farm we are suffering from hanging servers. They work for a variable amount of time but then slowly stop responding to the point where we can't login on the physical console and need to reset the server. Strange enough there is no series of events building up to the server freeze, one moment you see an uptime event, the next is the starting of services related to the hardware reset of the hanging machine while we were expecting something like resource events (ID's 2019/2020/2021).

We have this on physical and virtual servers (using vSphere 4.0/4.1) running on 2008R2 (x64), 2008 Storage server (x64), and 2003 (x86) machines. All these machines run EMC replistor for mirrorring, we have a few machines with bitdefender but without Replistor that seem to run fine so we're guessing there is some compatibility issue. Excluding the replistor service/directories with a BD policy doesn't fix the problem, uninstalling bitdefender does fix it.

The installed base of replistor probably isn't very big but maybe anyone here has experienced this kind of behaviour?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andionescu
post Sep 5 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #2

Regular Poster

Group: Technical Support
Member No.: 71,793

Hi Wally,

I have opened a ticket for the file server . Ticket no: 201109051034146
I will contact you by email.

Thanks.

Andrei

QUOTE (wally.nl @ Sep 5 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Since installing bitdefender for fileservers (3.5) on part of our DFS server farm we are suffering from hanging servers. They work for a variable amount of time but then slowly stop responding to the point where we can't login on the physical console and need to reset the server. Strange enough there is no series of events building up to the server freeze, one moment you see an uptime event, the next is the starting of services related to the hardware reset of the hanging machine while we were expecting something like resource events (ID's 2019/2020/2021).

We have this on physical and virtual servers (using vSphere 4.0/4.1) running on 2008R2 (x64), 2008 Storage server (x64), and 2003 (x86) machines. All these machines run EMC replistor for mirrorring, we have a few machines with bitdefender but without Replistor that seem to run fine so we're guessing there is some compatibility issue. Excluding the replistor service/directories with a BD policy doesn't fix the problem, uninstalling bitdefender does fix it.

The installed base of replistor probably isn't very big but maybe anyone here has experienced this kind of behaviour?

+Quote Post
Justin Wright
post Dec 6 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 83,879

Hi Wally,

I got the same thing. When it froze, attempts to connect through the network or VPN connection (and inspecting the packets) showed that it was responding enough to tell me what security protocol to use when connecting. The connection was dropped after this.

Also, when I went to the machine, the mouse was working (good start!). As soon as I pressed ctrl-alt-delete to login, it gave me a grey screen and never came back.

There were not telltale entries in the event log, apart from the fact that there were no entries until the server had its power cycled.

Other problems I experienced were backups stopped working. The software seems to turn on USN Journaling on the system reserved partition. It sets the size of the journal quite large and as a result, shadows copies cant be created (not enough space) This causes backups to fail. It took me ages to work this one out. It wasn't until I included bitdefender in the google search that the same problem was being reported by users of the BDIS on standard PC's.

I retested this just a minute ago and during the installation of the BF Exchange component. I checked the journal settings with "fsutil usn queryjournal sysmnt" and it showed that the journalling was effectively off. (sysmnt is the path I assigned to the parition so I could inspect it easily).

As soon as the installation completed the scan stage, the , the usn journal for the system partition was activated. If I deleted the journal, it was recreated within 10 seconds.

I had previously applied a workaround so that the backups could continue so I think the backups are ok for now.

My server has a clean install of SBS 2011. I had completely reinstalled the server before finding out it was possible BF. As soon as I put the server back into production, the problems started to happen again. The only other software installed was a UPS monitoring service (only in the first server install).

If you have progressed further, I would like to hear your comments.
regards

Justin.

QUOTE (wally.nl @ Sep 5 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Since installing bitdefender for fileservers (3.5) on part of our DFS server farm we are suffering from hanging servers. ..

+Quote Post
Andionescu
post Dec 6 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #4

Regular Poster

Member No.: 71,793

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your post.You are correct about the USN Journaling but I hope that it will be resolved in the new version of Bitdefender Management Server.
If you have any questions please fell free to contact us.

Regards,

Andrei

+Quote Post
wally.nl
post Jan 5 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 72,958

Hi Justin,

We're still working with technical support to fix this. We have meanwhile experienced the same issue on very basic domain controllers without any 'exotic' software installed on them so we've at least ruled out replistor.

So far support has basically extended the exclusions list, and although on most servers this has been an improvement we still have issues and we still feel very strongly that missing exclusions should NEVER result in a hanging server. What worries me most is the total lack of events/logging leading up to the 'not responding' state.

I'm guessing your issues haven't been resolved yet, otherwise I'd love to hear from you.

+Quote Post
Ronald Patan
post Dec 15 2012, 01:21 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 123,821

QUOTE (andionescu @ Sep 6 2011, 12:21 AM) *
Hi Wally,

I have opened a ticket for the file server . Ticket no: 201109051034146
I will contact you by email.

Thanks.

Andrei

Hi Andrei

I have a similar situation, I have SBS 2011 Server as the Bitdefender for file server real time is enabled the server might work for about 4 or 5 or more at time and just hangs. I am just wondering what the fix for this, I have another server which is Window Server 2003 Standard now other software installed- its just a pure file server, only UPS Monitoring software is installed as I enable BD File Server it hangs the server after couple of hours. I really need a fix for this issue as I have lot of client running BitDefender solution and I don't want them to switch to other AV.

Hope you can assist me this quickly.

Thanks
Ronald

+Quote Post
CatalinD
post Dec 15 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #7

Regular Poster

Member No.: 107,889

Hello Wally and Ronald,

Thank you for your posts.

As a first troubleshooting step I would like to know the version of Bitdefender Security for File Servers you have installed on your servers. You can get this information from the product interface -> Product status section in the bottom part. Also a screenshot would help us.

Looking forward to your reply,
Catalin

+Quote Post
flensje
post Feb 9 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 176,921

Hi all,

Does somebody have an update on this topic?

We are having a same sort of issue, running version Bitdefender for Windows Fileservers 3.5.18.6 on Win2K8R2 in a VMware client.
The server is deployed as a file server. Other servers with the same licence type do not have this problem.

It happens during a scheduled scan. The server runs the scan for a while, and at some point stops responding. We see the CPU % increasing to 100% and then it stops accepting connections (file shares, RDP unavailable). We need to reset the system through VMWare management console.
When the server is not running this scan, it obviously does not freeze.

Hope anyone can shine some light on this issue. I cannot see any extended logging features within Bitdefender.

Thanks in advance.

Daan

QUOTE (CatalinD @ Dec 15 2012, 09:51 AM) *
Hello Wally and Ronald,

Thank you for your posts.

As a first troubleshooting step I would like to know the version of Bitdefender Security for File Servers you have installed on your servers. You can get this information from the product interface -> Product status section in the bottom part. Also a screenshot would help us.

Looking forward to your reply,
Catalin

+Quote Post
dannnyy
post Mar 12 2014, 11:19 PM
Post #9

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 22,336

Hello Daan.
I've also used Bitdefender Security for File Servers in the past, but now I've switched to Endpoint Security by Bitdefender. I've updated my Bitdefender Management Console to version 3.6, manually uninstalled Bitdefender Security for File Servers and installed the brand new Endpoint Security by Bitdefender, as Bitdefender states on their site.
To update Bitdefender Management Console you can make a search on google.
You can make a try with this new product, maybe the old problems were fixed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 09:54 AM