> Updates - How Does That Work?, Firefox prefs.js and about:config
dallas7
post Aug 9 2011, 06:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 70,017

Firefox 5.0 in WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit.
TrafficLight 0.1.20 extension

On Aug 2 or 3 I installed .20 on my desktop and laptop. In the settings of my laptop I see last updated on August 8, today, but on my desktop it's August 6 - 6 August 2011 is the extensions.TrafficLightSettings.date value. I also see where TL adds about 700kb to prefs.js.

What determines the update?
Why do you think my desktop is stuck on August 6?
Is the data in prefs.js what gets updated?
Can an update be evoked manually?

What is the significance of the values in about:config for
extensions.TrafficLightSettings.hour and
extensions.TrafficLightSettings.ls
currently at 21 and 0 respectively?

I've been using TL off and on since 0.1.17 and I'm convinced it's a keeper. I look forward to its continued development. Thank you for distributing it as freeware.

Your attention to my obsessive compulsive under-the-hood questions will be greatly appreciated.
Especially the update thing.

Cheers!

This post has been edited by dallas7: Aug 9 2011, 06:21 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel.M
post Aug 9 2011, 08:50 AM
Post #2

Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 53,865

Hy .

First of all I'll try to settle a few things straight about the update .
- the last update date that appears in the toolbar represent the last date the signatures where update in . For antiphishing TrafficLight uses both cloud detection and signature based detection. For example if you say you have 8 aug. 2011 it means the last update of signatures was performed on that date.
- when it comes to product updates you'll see that your version will change in the toolbar .

I can't tell right now about this issue you've had with the two different pc's but I'll look into it and see if i manage to reproduce it here in our labs and forward it to the development team.

If you have any other issues or questions please feel free to post them here .

Best regards,

Daniel

+Quote Post
dallas7
post Aug 9 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #3

Hi Daniel. Thanks for the quick response and speaking to the product and signature updates as they appear in the toolbar.

I find today my desktop is showing August 9 from the previous August 6. So the process is working. Of course if I had waited until this morning to post up here, I wouldn't have needed to report my desktop is "stuck." :-)

BUT, I'm still curious as to what determines that update. How does TL know... Oh look; new sigs; let me get them. Timed client task? Server push?

It would seem to be obvious that the signatures are updated to the prefs.js file since I can't find anything else anywhere that look like sigs belonging to TL. But I'd appreciate confirmation of that - are they?

I have observed a healthy connectivity to BitDefender servers (the cloud) while surfing so I assume protection is always current regardless of the local signature store the purpose of which (discounting the whitelist) is to offload detection to the client thus relieving the servers. Correct?

And if it's not too much trouble can you revisit my question about the .hour and .ls values in the about:config?

Keep up the good work.
Dallas

+Quote Post
dallas7
post Aug 9 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (dallas7 @ 11:29 AM)
I have observed a healthy connectivity to BitDefender servers (the cloud) while surfing so I assume protection is always current regardless of the local signature store the purpose of which (discounting the whitelist) is to offload detection to the client thus relieving the servers. Correct?

And if it's not too much trouble can you revisit my question about the .hour and .ls values in the about:config?

Hmmmm. Can't see where I can edit that 11:29 post, so...

That other "Full Version Or Add-on?" topic addresses the cloud and sigs but I did post up a questions there.

I noticed the value for .hour is probably the actual hour of the last update, i.e. 13 for 1 PM (correct me if I'm wrong). So that leaves what .ls is for.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Daniel.M
post Aug 10 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #5

Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 53,865

Hope I don't miss out any of your question.

Regarding setting in about:config ->
-> .hour represents the last time TL checked for an update and the example given by you was correct . Just to settle this update issue , TL checks for update on an hourly basis , and if an update is available sigs. will be update ;
-> .ls ; .ap , etc. represent the value of certian features like search analyzer (.ls) and antiphishing(.ap) , and so on and so forth .

Regarding the purpose of the sigs. you are right. If for any reason there might be issue with our cloud services , sigs. will provide the needed protection , but they also contain a more comprehensive method of detecting link that might not yet be in our cloud database, and yes they are added to prefs.js

Best regards,

Daniel

+Quote Post
dallas7
post Aug 10 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Excellent. That pretty much squares away my understanding of the TrafficLight extension for Firefox. I can apply that to the things I'm seeing in Chrome, too. Hourly updates are great; one couldn't ask for a better value.

Due to my health I am somewhat restricted to home and have come to depend on my computer for commerce, financials, business communications, etc. Not that a BitDefender product would fall into this category, I can't afford to have an application to lull me into a false sense of security. I am convinced this product is a winner. Thanks so much for your time an patience.

I might add that for 9 days I've been running TL in PortableApps' Firefox 5.0 running in Sandboxie 2.56. No problems.

All the best, always,
Dallas

+Quote Post
Christian
post Oct 25 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #7

Bitdefender Support

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 9,374

Hi

Please update all your software tot the latest version available.

Thank you.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 06:33 AM