Reply to this topicStart new topic
> About:blank
m3hm3h
post Aug 5 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 4,941

Hi,

I have recently inseted an infected thumbdrive into my laptop with BD2011 installed. It helped blocked some virus but upon opening my IE8, i realized that my homepage has been set to about:blank and I am unable to change it the normal way.

I did a deep system scan but found nothing suspicious regarding this. Please advise.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nikki605
post Aug 5 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Veteran Poster

Member No.: 35,640

I am moving your post from the BD 2011 forum to the Malware forum where it will receive the proper attention. Your problem certainly sounds like malware.

Which BD 2011 product do you have installed - Antivirus, Internet Security or Total Security?

What Build do you have (right-click the red BD icon the the Windows System Tray and select About)?
Open BD & navigate to the Update page. What Virus signature & Engine Version do you have?

Regards,

+Quote Post
m3hm3h
post Aug 5 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply.

I installed BD2011 Internet Security.

Build: 14.0.30.357

Signature: 8709735

Engine: 7.38518

+Quote Post
nikki605
post Aug 5 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Veteran Poster

I have BDAV Pro 2011 (English) installed and have the same Build as you. However, the Signature & Engine are different:

Signature: 8709835

Engine: 7.38519

I believe they should be the same between BDAV & BDIS. Try doing an Update Now (right-click the red BD icon the the Windows System Tray and select Update Now) to see if those versions get updated. If prompted after the update, remember to reboot the PC.

What language version of BDIS do you have and what country are you located in (I'm in the US)?

Regards,

+Quote Post
m3hm3h
post Aug 5 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Hi,

Signature: 8709932

Engine: 7.38520

The above is what I have after updating. Either way, after a few scans and having some cookies deleted, I am now able to change my homepage normal. Looks like everything has returned to normal for the moment.

Appreciates the help though! =)

Anyway, would be useful if you can let me have an idea of what caused the issue.

Btw, I'm from Singapore and is using the english language version. =)

This post has been edited by m3hm3h: Aug 5 2011, 06:30 PM

+Quote Post
nikki605
post Aug 5 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #6

Veteran Poster

My Signature & Engine have also been updated the same as your's since my original post.

If your problem has now cleared, I would have no way of telling what caused it. I was simply trying to gather information to give the malware gurus a good starting point to assist you.

Please post back if the issue appears again.

Regards,

+Quote Post
babyspicefan
post Aug 5 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 25,912

I also have this problem on my PC.

I'm using Bitdefender Antivirus Pro 2011

My Build Number is 14.0.30.357
My signature number is 8709936
Engine Version is 7.38521

If I change my homepage to anything other than About:blank and apply the change, as soon as I then press to go to my homepage, I still end up back at About:blank and the homepage I changed to has gone.

I too have run scans and my scan revealed 'Backdoor.hupigon.248582' The virus has been deleted, but the problem still persists. I'm not sure why it was only detected when running a scan as opposed to being detected when it somehow entered my PC.

Is there any known solution to this problem?

+Quote Post
Cristi
post Aug 6 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #8

Technical Support

Group: Technical Support
Member No.: 30,868

This behavior is quite normal,the page has been changed to its default by BitDefender.
What happens exactly is that when BitDefender during a scan removes a virus that can hijack the browser, it changes the homepage back to About:Blank.
You can always change back the homepage from Control Panel -Internet Options.

+Quote Post
babyspicefan
post Aug 6 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Cristi Raducu @ Aug 6 2011, 01:19 PM) *
This behavior is quite normal,the page has been changed to its default by BitDefender.
What happens exactly is that when BitDefender during a scan removes a virus that can hijack the browser, it changes the homepage back to About:Blank.
You can always change back the homepage from Control Panel -Internet Options.

I'm not sure I agree with the above statement. Even after Bitdefender suggested that it had found and removed the backdoor.hupigon virus, the problem persisted, in that my homepage was reverted to About:blank even after changing it on Control Panel. In fact I have only ever had one other issue with a virus and Bitdefender did not change my homepage to About:blank then either.

I found the solution on another forum, which suggested using Malwarebytes to remove the offending item. This I did and Malwarebytes detected a single infected registry entry, which IT deleted and thereby resolved my problem immediately and I was able to put my homepage to whatever I wanted and it stayed as whatever I wanted.

To me Bitdefender has failed on two counts with this issue. Firstly it did not detect the virus and thus did not prevent it entering my PC and secondly it failed to remove it successfully as was demonstrated by subsequently having to use a third party piece of FREE software to resolve the issue.

+Quote Post
nikki605
post Aug 7 2011, 12:33 AM
Post #10

Veteran Poster

MBAM saves it's scan logs. Please open the log and post the contents here as this will help Cristi investigate the issue further.

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Regards,

+Quote Post
babyspicefan
post Aug 8 2011, 06:28 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (nikki605 @ Aug 7 2011, 12:33 AM) *
MBAM saves it's scan logs. Please open the log and post the contents here as this will help Cristi investigate the issue further.

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Regards,

The MBAM log is below

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.1.1800
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7390

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

05/08/2011 23:19:31
mbam-log-2011-08-05 (23-19-31).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 170042
Time elapsed: 12 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\shell\open\command\(default) (Hijack.StartMenuInternet) -> Bad: ("C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\jde.exe" -a "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe") Good: (iexplore.exe) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

+Quote Post
olsen
post Sep 5 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 72,993

Hi babyspicefan. Does this happen for all browsers? IE, FF, Chrome? I think its a fair trade off, Every time BD caughts a virus, you just need to set your homepage again.

+Quote Post
babyspicefan
post Sep 5 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (olsen @ Sep 5 2011, 03:13 PM) *
Hi babyspicefan. Does this happen for all browsers? IE, FF, Chrome? I think its a fair trade off, Every time BD caughts a virus, you just need to set your homepage again.

I have not had a response since posting this MBAM log up. However as you will note from my previous post, I do not agree with much that Bitdefender have said in this thread. In all the time I have used Bitdefender, it has never altered my homepage to about:blank. In this instance, in my opinion, Bitdefender as provided neither prevention nor resolution to this issue, it came from a third party FREE software.

Does it work with other browsers? Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that.

+Quote Post
olsen
post Sep 9 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 72,993

I dont speak on behalf of BD. I apologize if i mislead you. You might want to consider opening up a ticket with them. Im sure you will get a straight answer. You will need your license key for this. Just look for the contact us link.

+Quote Post
david6789
post Sep 30 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #15

Group: Members
Member No.: 112,536

Is anyone working on this? Why is my Bit Defender causing my IE to not maintain a Home page??

+Quote Post
babyspicefan
post Sep 30 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (david6789 @ Sep 30 2012, 04:33 PM) *
Is anyone working on this? Why is my Bit Defender causing my IE to not maintain a Home page??

I never got a response to the post above. I think the point has been considered closed because I resolved it myself using a 3rd party software - malwarebytes. All I can suggest is you run an Anti virus scan and seen what it comes up with. Bitdefender to me failed to identify the virus and thus prevent it 'entering' my pc and when it did identify it, it was unable to remove it, despite saying it had successfully deleted the virus. Once you've discovered the name of the virus, I would suggest you Google it, as I did and hopefully you will find the appropriate tool to remove it, which for me was malwarebytes. That said I can no longer use malwarebytes as it conflicts with bitdefender, a point of which I was not aware at the time I renewed my subscription. I don't think I would have renewed had I known.

+Quote Post
Christian
post Oct 1 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #17

Bitdefender Support

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 9,374

Hello (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Please check the answer from this topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=38170

Thank you!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 01:44 PM