Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Certificate Errors, Server certificate errors in IE8, Win7, Norton IS, BD-TL
JMJ
post Apr 7 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,212

Greetings!

During the past 48 hours, when navigating to some sites, like "economist.com", my bank's and when making secured (https:) transactions, I have encountered several certificate-error warning messages similar to this:

*To protect your computer, Internet Explorer has blocked content from websites containing certificate errors.*

When viewing the "errant" certificate, "BitDefender CA" is noted as the issuer and in two cases was "Not a recognized Certificate Authority".

The warnings are not generated consistently; that is, I have re-visited some of the "offending" sites and the warning I previously received is NOT repeated.

Any exlanation of what is going on will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JMJ
post Apr 8 2011, 04:29 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (JMJ @ Apr 7 2011, 05:47 PM) *
Greetings!

During the past 48 hours, when navigating to some sites, like "economist.com", my bank's and when making secured (https:) transactions, I have encountered several certificate-error warning messages similar to this:

*To protect your computer, Internet Explorer has blocked content from websites containing certificate errors.*

When viewing the "errant" certificate, "BitDefender CA" is noted as the issuer and in two cases was "Not a recognized Certificate Authority".

The warnings are not generated consistently; that is, I have re-visited some of the "offending" sites and the warning I previously received is NOT repeated.

Any exlanation of what is going on will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT/FOLLOW-UP:

+Quote Post
JMJ
post Apr 8 2011, 04:58 AM
Post #3

EDIT/FOLLOW-UP:

Since posting the foregoing, I learned that Comodo Group, the Internet security company and Certificate Authority based in NJ, U.S.A., was hacked. A person claiming to be the hacker (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif) also claims to have issued a number of stolen/phony certificates. Perhaps this explains the errors I reported, as the Web's "chain of trust" had been compromised and IE was "alerting" me to that fact.

Please see this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/technolo...7hack.html?_r=1

Any better informed opinion will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Christian
post Nov 4 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #4

Bitdefender Support

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 9,374

Hi

Sorry for the delayed reply.

This issue has been fixed.

Thank you for your feedback.

Have a nice day.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 04:53 PM