Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Xp Internet Security 2011, Virus infection
babyspicefan
post Mar 10 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 25,912

I appear to have acquired a virus / spyware known as XP Internet Security 2011

It is basically preventing me from doing anything at the moment.
As Soon as I realised there was something wrong with my PC, I disconnected from the Internet and tried to see if I could get rid of it.

I ran a scan with Bitdefender and it has not picked it up. My antivirus definitions were up to date as of 5 minutes before the problem occurred. I was obviously hoping that Bitdefender would identify it and either quarantine or better still delete it.

Anytime I start to open a program this XP Internet Security 2011 opens itself up and proclaims I have all sorts of nasties on my PC. I don't believe for one minute that is the case and this is an attempt to get money out of me by registering for this fake product.

My questions are

1) How has this got past both the bitdefender firewall and bitdefender antivirus?

2) How do I get rid of the XP Internet Security 2011, given that it hasn't been recognised by Bitdefender?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nikki605
post Mar 11 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #2

Veteran Poster

Member No.: 35,640

@babyspicefan - I have moved your topic to the Malware forum where it will get the proper attention.

Regards,

+Quote Post
ONT
post Mar 11 2011, 05:42 AM
Post #3

Guru Poster

Group: Banned
Member No.: 31,288

Hi babyspicefan

@2) How do I get rid of the XP Internet Security 2011, given that it hasn't been recognised by Bitdefender?

What Bitdefender product you are using? What are the "Real Time Protection, AVC and IDS Settings" and what type of scan did you run and what are its settings? Kindly provide some detail as it would be helpful for respected Cristi. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Cristi
post Mar 11 2011, 08:35 AM
Post #4

Technical Support

Group: Technical Support
Member No.: 30,868

Hello babyspicefan,

Please send me by PM a BDSI log.

http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/article/490/

-attaching this type of log is not allowed on the forum so you need to upload them on a server such as www.sendspace.com and send back the generated download links.

+Quote Post
Guelph
post Mar 22 2011, 04:29 AM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,402

I got this too. BD missed it. The processes and filenames were different when compared to the version when I Googled it. I was due for a fresh OP reload anyway.

+Quote Post
babyspicefan
post Apr 14 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 25,912

I resolved this myself. Basically I Googled my way out of it. Opening task manager, I found a file that was running that I did not recognise and Googled it. I found a site that described the symptoms I had encountered and it identified jde.exe as the virus. I then found a site that described how to kill jde.exe, or at least stop it running.

It took a couple of hours to find this stuff, but it did end up being a speedier resolution than sending files off for analysis etc as I wouldn't have been able to do that until the following night.

Nowhere could I find anyone who knew how to remove the file without making registry entries which I am not confident about doing. I knew how to kill it and so I did just that each time it started whilst I tried to get the BDSI log requested. I did a virus scan immediately following every bitdefender update in the meantime. It was whilst I was getting a BDSI log that on either the third or fourth Bitdefender update that an antivirus scan picked up and quarantined it. Everything seems to have worked fine since then. In all it was less than 24 hours from discovery to removal.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 03:51 AM