Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's A "gen:variant.renos.2" Virus?, What are the effects of this virus and how to totally clean it up.
LGaspan
post Jul 30 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 35,588

Hi, my laptop recently got infected with a virus named Gen:Variant.Renos.2 and my bitdefender keeps on reporting it has blocked several viruses and cleaned the PC, yet when I close the report/alert window, the same pop up window telling the same thing keeps on popping back up.

I am not a computer whiz, but I would like to know more on the effects of this certain virus and how can I totally eliminate it, how does a PC get it and from where and how to avoid it.

Since my antivirus reported this case, my email account has been doing a lot of weird things such as sending unidentified links to everyone on my contacts list. I was wondering if this is somehow related to the same virus.

this is a sample of what is listed on the alert window that keeps on popping up:

Virus name: Gen:Variant.Renos.2
MsMpeng

there are several of these with varying last digits, and it keeps on counting.

Please let me know what actions should be undertaken.

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catalin Salgau
post Jul 30 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #2

Virus Researcher

Group: Bitdefender Labs
Member No.: 14,578

As you may notice from the Gen: in the detection name, this detection is not signature based.
According to the information provided, it appears that you have both BitDefender and Microsoft Security Essentials. As a rule of thumb, two antivirus products on a single system is not a good idea for several reasons. In this situation I am inclined to thing this may be a false positive on our part due to the way the Microsoft product works, but I may be wrong.
To help debug this issue, please switch BitDefender's primary action to Move to Quarantine and run trough all the infection notifications. When no more appear, quickly disable the shield, save the files that were just quarantined to a folder on your drive and put them in a password protected archive(use the password "infected") and reenable the shield.
Follow the instructions under KB490 to obtain a set of logs and submit them along with this archive, a description of the problem and a link to this this topic according to the instructions in the mentioned article.
Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
ONT
post Jul 31 2010, 05:45 AM
Post #3

Guru Poster

Group: Banned
Member No.: 31,288

Hi Catalin

As you said in your post that the "Gen: in the detection name" is not signature based, since Bitdefender has Triple Defense System which includes

1. Traditional (Signature based Detection)

2. Proactive (Heuristics in Virtual Environment B-HAVE)

3. Continuous (Active virus Control)

So I want to know how does Bitdefender detected it as malicious and give a name to it if it not signature based?

Since I was unable to edit my previous post so I add post.

+Quote Post
Catalin Salgau
post Jul 31 2010, 06:32 AM
Post #4

Virus Researcher

Group: Bitdefender Labs
Member No.: 14,578

This is best categorized under proactive, but is not strictly related to B-HAVE. Though I do not see the relevancy to the problem at hand.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 10:02 PM