Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compensation For False-positive Of Trojan.fakealert.5?, In this thread, it's all about appropriate compensation
DanyDan
post Mar 22 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #241

Guru Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 20,064

Everyone, please try and have a civilized conversation. Don't flame each other and don't spam otherwise I will have to edit the posts and calm the spirits down.

I know that everyone is a little frustrated about the situation and I totally understand it. Please understand that flaming and reporting each other will not help us pass over it but will make things worse.

Thank you for the understanding and I wish all of you a great evening.

Truly yours,

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jburd
post Mar 22 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #242

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,841

I feel things are getting a bit out of hand, we are blaming each other when the blame is firmly with Bit Defender.

For the record, I didn't have BD set to autodelete but when it came up with all those corrupt files and things stopped working I chose, rightly or wrongly to switch off. I then couldn't reboot, not even in safe mode. I had no other options than try a recovery, which still left the system unstable, then to format and reinstall.

I feel sorry for those of you who have had to call in professionals to do the task, I guess I am lucky in so far as I can do the job myself.

There are a lot of very unhappy people out there, including myself.

As I said before we bought Bit Defender to protect our computers......

+Quote Post
lorddraco
post Mar 22 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #243

Member No.: 32,846

yeah .. instead of protecting us from harm. It cause major harm to us.... I just want my refund.

+Quote Post
pvp
post Mar 22 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #244

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 27,779

@ L.o.D -> Why don't you understand that many people here have an issue with your style of responses? You always say something like 'I never said BD are not to blame' but by reading your posts I (and many others , I am sure) get the feeling that you are trying hard to save BD from this fiasco by blaming the user at least partly. You behave like a lawyer who is trying a damage limitation for his guilty client. That is what I told you to be a little benevolent, people are upset, very upset. It is good to advise them to keep their settings safe and have a backup but you should keep it separate from this fake alert issue. You are mixing the two and making the environment even more chaotic.

+Quote Post
L.o.D.
post Mar 22 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #245

Regular Poster

Member No.: 25,035

QUOTE (jburd @ Mar 22 2010, 04:50 PM) *
I feel things are getting a bit out of hand, we are blaming each other when the blame is firmly with Bit Defender.

No one has ever denied that.

For the record, I didn't have BD set to autodelete but when it came up with all those corrupt files and things stopped working I chose, rightly or wrongly to switch off. I then couldn't reboot, not even in safe mode. I had no other options than try a recovery, which still left the system unstable, then to format and reinstall.

When I stated people are responsible for their actions, I did NOT mean that they should pay.
People here are jumping to that conclusion because they are in a bad mood over this fiasco.
There were a few people that stated they were not responsible for turning something on or off.
That again does not mean that they should not be compensated etc.

I feel sorry for those of you who have had to call in professionals to do the task, I guess I am lucky in so far as I can do the job myself.

This I can blame on no one here, but the stores and manufacturers of pre-built machines for not including adequate recovery/install discs.

pvp, show me where I ever stated that BD was not responsible for this mess?
I never have but you seem to think I have.
No one is to blame for the fiasco but BD.

My only "beef" was with those that cannot take responsibility for their own personal actions such as that of setting to autodelete.
I apologize in saying it was you that said it, it was not.

I don't blame the user for loss of data but yes, restarting was a bad choice as is not having a backup.

This post has been edited by L.o.D.: Mar 22 2010, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post
TheBigPJ
post Mar 22 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #246

Member No.: 32,420

@BitDefender Staff

What now? What compensation schemes are in the works? People have given there ideas and now its your turn to throw the ball.

+Quote Post
ihatebitdefender
post Mar 22 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #247

Member No.: 32,731

I have just got my PC back, it cost me £100.00 to have it fixed and it is only 2 months old. I have all receipts for my computer and for the IT technician who fixed it. We had to transfer all my data off my hardrive, wipe the original hardrive clean and reinstall windows and all my programmes. ( I am a web designer and not a computer novice so I know this took a considerable amount of time )

I have also not been able to work today ( as my pc was in for repair ).

Why should I have to pay £100.00 when the blame lays entirely with Bit Defender?

+Quote Post
pvp
post Mar 22 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #248

@ L.o.D -> ok. Let the decision process of the BD team take over. Hope everyone will get a fair deal.

+Quote Post
lorddraco
post Mar 22 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #249

Member No.: 32,846

I give up... I am going to scout for better security suites. as mention, even after patch, and doing the latest update. The false positive still appear and I have to recover my pc again. Guess, Reinstalling it is even better... ###### BD...

+Quote Post
Astrat
post Mar 23 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #250

Member No.: 22,537

BD

Why are you directing folks from other posts about compensation to this one when there is no information about it here? Will you be posting information about compensation here?

@Darius20: We are very sorry that you had to reinstall the operating system. In this moment our highest priority is to help everybody to get the computer up and running properly. Of course we are discussing about compensation - see Compensation For False-positive Of Trojan.fakealert.5? - but right now we cannot provide you with any specific information about this issue.

Thanks

+Quote Post
warlord
post Mar 23 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #251

Member No.: 32,838

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I am going to man up and except full responsibility for my part in the screw up with Bit defender, had I not powered up my Laptop on saturday none of this would have happened...man I feel much better getting rid of the burden of guilt I was living with......I will now send a apology Email to Bit defender asking for their forgiveness in this matter, hopefully they will do the same for the very small part they played in this matter....

+Quote Post
NesralNeets
post Mar 23 2010, 01:37 AM
Post #252

Member No.: 19,979

QUOTE (Matthias H. @ Mar 20 2010, 01:57 PM) *
In this Thread, it's all about appropriate compensation from issue of 20 March 2010![/font][/size]

if you have a question to the issue, please post it on http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18759 !
Please let this not out of your frustration, but remains factually....

I think that BitDefender had to compensate all consumers who bought their product for another year free use of their current license key. In the past, some other reputable manufacture of antimalware was affected by false-positive. Many manufacture has make credits or cache-back offers to get losted trust again.

What do you see as reasonable compensation?

I have been a BD user for a number of years and although there have been glitches along the way I've stayed with the product and have promoted it to friends and family. The product has protected my systems well. However, the actions BD takes to remedy this situation will play a large part in maintaining my loyalty and ultimately the long term viability of their enterprise.

I think at the very least there should be a number of remedies available to affected users:

1) Compensation for costs incurred to rectify the problem (receipts required)
2) Full refund for those who are unhappy with product/service and wish to use another product
3) Free licensing for at least an additional year for those who want to stay with the product.

These options don't necessarily need to be mutually exclusive either.

BD needs to take Corporate Responsibility seriously to restore confidence in it's product/company. They can do that by treating and compensating their customers fairly. They need to make things right by supporting customers effectively and ensuring systems are quickly repaired to user satisfaction. Finally, BD must learn from their mistakes (i.e. adequate testing, quality control, etc) and move on.

From a user point of view, I know that I will be sure to back up and set restore points more often. Doesn't look like you can take security of your systems for granted anymore even if you do pay a good buck for it.

This post has been edited by NesralNeets: Mar 23 2010, 01:43 AM

+Quote Post
travisgmyers
post Mar 23 2010, 01:44 AM
Post #253

Member No.: 32,853

I think others have said similar things. I can't speak for the people that have lost data or taken their computers into a repair shop, I didn't lose any data. I did lose access to my computer for a few days though. When the alerts came up I just shut down my computer until I could talk to a computer tech friend of mine. I didn't find out till I got online today and did a search that it was a mistake. I just got my computer fixed and everything seems to be okay.

I've been a loyal customer for three years or so now and have three subscriptions. I have recommended BitDefender to friends and family for a long time. This is the first problem I have had in that time period. I will stay with BitDefender, but how they react to this mistake will be the difference between me continuing to recommend them or not. Reading through this message board, it looks like they aren't actually legally bound to do anything. However, I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer an extended subscription to their 64 bit customers. I know enough about computers that I didn't make any rash decisions that would have harmed my computer. I also have a laptop that I made due with until I figured out the problem. Not everyone has much knowledge about computers or a second computer to use. They pay BitDefender for their knowledge and software.

I'm also pretty disappointed that no email was sent out notifying customers of the problem. It took me three days to have time to do some digging online and find the problem. Granted, I could have searched the first day to find out the problem, but I assumed I had a virus (my antivirus software was telling me that after all ha!) so I planned asking a friend for tips on removing one. It would have saved me a lot of time if they just would have send out a mass email to all their customers (or just the 64bit ones if they have that information) saying how to fix the problem. To me, that was just inexcusable.

I don't know how to handle the people who lost lots of files or paid to have their computer repaired. If they offer an extended subscription to 64 bit users, it would go a long way in my book to keep my loyalty.

In short, I'm pretty mad, but will stay with BitDefender. As far as I'm concerned the situation sucks and I sympathize with those who lost data and money, but 3 days of problems (for me) out of 3 years of quality service isn't too bad. If I will keep recommending BitDefender to friends and family remains to be seen.

BitDefender take some action to keep your loyal customers.

-Travis Myers

+Quote Post
ITNOW
post Mar 23 2010, 03:00 AM
Post #254

Member No.: 32,856

Hi all from New Zealand..... Firstly I thank the Bitdefender Team for getting me out of bed at 4am Sunday morning to answer a telephone call advising me of the issues that I may face with my clients....
I have been an agent in NZ for BitDefender for approx 4 years with NO major issues. The phone call confirms to me that BitDefender ARE committed to the product and their client base. It is NOW Tuesday and because I was able to advise all my clients of the potential issues we had ONLY 1 problem and that was sorted in 1 hour.... 100+ potential & 1 issue .... good for me.
Im sure BitDefender staff will come to the party in some way or another BUT lets get the issues resolved first and put methods in place to eliminate any future problems.

+Quote Post
BitDefenderLawsu...
post Mar 23 2010, 04:08 AM
Post #255

Member No.: 32,438

It's going on 4 days since I've uninstalled the malware and switched to a different product (yes, there are viable alternatives that don't include Norton or McAffee).

I submitted two civil requests for a refund with no information back from BitDefender.

+Quote Post
TheBigPJ
post Mar 23 2010, 04:12 AM
Post #256

Member No.: 32,420

QUOTE (ITNOW @ Mar 22 2010, 08:00 PM) *
Hi all from New Zealand..... Firstly I thank the Bitdefender Team for getting me out of bed at 4am Sunday morning to answer a telephone call advising me of the issues that I may face with my clients....
I have been an agent in NZ for BitDefender for approx 4 years with NO major issues. The phone call confirms to me that BitDefender ARE committed to the product and their client base. It is NOW Tuesday and because I was able to advise all my clients of the potential issues we had ONLY 1 problem and that was sorted in 1 hour.... 100+ potential & 1 issue .... good for me.
Im sure BitDefender staff will come to the party in some way or another BUT lets get the issues resolved first and put methods in place to eliminate any future problems.

So they "phone there big customers" and leave there other customers without even an email. Stylish BD very stylish.

@BD Staff: Whats the situation in regard to compensation? Is there going to be any? Any meetings about this? Anything? Or are you going to wait till people 'just go' away?

(After reading about this person above getting warned I will not lie this has somewhat put me in a very foul state of mind now.)

This post has been edited by TheBigPJ: Mar 23 2010, 04:19 AM

+Quote Post
kringlan
post Mar 23 2010, 05:29 AM
Post #257

Member No.: 32,654

I will not settle with anything less than full compensation for 4 days of work, operative systems that i had to buy, and a full refund of the product so i can buy something else. Because no matter the refund i will never ever use software even slightly affiliated with bitdefender.

L.o.D what you are completely failing to see the following:
1. The files that was lost was lost solely due to Bitdefender and Bitdefender support. I'm not the only customer who waited, and waited and read and tried to do everything possible to save my computer from trojan.bitdefender. When i finally got an answer they recommended me to shut down my system. And i could not get it back up.

Even without getting this "aid", shutting down the system is what most people do, they simply cant have the computer on for 2-3days. Especially if its a laptop on business. Furthermore there was no statement saying that shutting down was not okay. In fact in most cases it was promoted, so in all cases where shutting down the computer rendered the computer useless, its painfully clear that Bitdefender is responsible for the loss of data.

It's therefore unimportant if the customers made backup or not. Its also irrelevant if they have restore points or not. In fact, customers should and can claim compensation even for things that they lost but have backup on.

This is the only thing i would consider fair, and honest. We all pay you to protect these files, you destroyed them, take full responsibility.

And if Bitdefender shouldn't be able to survive such a blow. Then pretty ###### fine, this sort of mistakes are inexcusable and its well about time that your business gets a scare so that it starts sobering up. Its absolutely unacceptable.

All of you who have the same issue as me above don't settle for anything less. No matter what the bitdefender wannabe employees say there is no getting around the stuff i have stated above. Lets push this for real. I have had enough.

We pay money to bitdefender to protect us from what

+Quote Post
pvp
post Mar 23 2010, 06:42 AM
Post #258

QUOTE (ITNOW @ Mar 23 2010, 07:30 AM) *

If that is true then shame on Bitdefender for ignoring the customers. They should have sent bulk emails to all the customers warning about the condition. That is not very difficult. A simple apology from Bitdefender for the slack approach to customer care and a promise to avoid a repeat would go a long way in consoling people like me.

+Quote Post
shpshftr
post Mar 23 2010, 06:50 AM
Post #259

Poster

Member No.: 31,695

I see the cause of damage done to any computer lies clearly with the virus/malware program writer. But since they are kinda hard to catch, the responsibility certainly doesn't lie with the antivirus company...they don't guarantee you will never get a virus and if they did they would be not only out of business but they would be outright stupid to make such a claim. There is no way I would ever rely on any antivirus program to protect me 100% of the time. If I loose data it is my fault and my fault alone..especially if loosing that data causes me down time beyond recovery time.

There are so many ways to loose data that are not virus/malware related...like spinning out a hard drive, or memory failures, hardware blowups, dropping my laptop or even having it stolen! If I am not backing up important data every day, I would consider myself a complete fool.

Granted BD should work on better customer service, but the responsibility of data loss due to a virus or malware infection lies squarely on the computer operator/owner...imho. To ask for compensation for your own bad data backup policies is just plain goofy...lol

I have a full OS image of my hard drive on an external drive. I have one for every 10 days since January 1, 2010. For every new back up image I make now I delete the oldest image...I keep at least 20 backup images just in case I get infected with a "time release" virus...they are rare these days but when it happens to me and the last 4 weeks of backups are infected...I'm prepared. I keep important daily files on the same external drive in a separate directory called "daily backup". Ok...here's the results, I have not lost any data for any reason for over 6 years and that includes two bad drives and one malware infection. All three times my down time was less than 2 hours and that's only because I took a short nap before I started...and guess what, my antivirus has never caused loss of data..however it did stop the malware infection for a short time but on my third reboot the malware figured out a way to turn off the antivirus! Sneaky suckers! :-)

Antivirs programs make you safer, but they do not protect you from you!

My solution to data loss: Back up, Back up, Back up!!!

+Quote Post
shpshftr
post Mar 23 2010, 06:58 AM
Post #260

Poster

Member No.: 31,695

Now can I get a solution to this thread? http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18741 :-)

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 09:53 PM