Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compensation For False-positive Of Trojan.fakealert.5?, In this thread, it's all about appropriate compensation
Matthias H.
post Mar 20 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,429

In this Thread, it's all about appropriate compensation from issue of 20 March 2010![/font][/size]

if you have a question to the issue, please post it on http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18759 !
Please let this not out of your frustration, but remains factually....

I think that BitDefender had to compensate all consumers who bought their product for another year free use of their current license key. In the past, some other reputable manufacture of antimalware was affected by false-positive. Many manufacture has make credits or cache-back offers to get losted trust again.

What do you see as reasonable compensation?

This post has been edited by Carmen Cernev: Mar 21 2010, 07:22 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
enoch0o
post Mar 20 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #2

Poster

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 32,230

free ###### for everyone! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

sorry couldnt resist.

+Quote Post
greogory
post Mar 20 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 32,472

QUOTE (Matthias H. @ Mar 20 2010, 03:57 PM) *
In this Thread, it's all about appropriate compensation from issue of 20 March 2010!

if you have a question to the issue, please post it on http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18759 !

I think that BitDefender had to compensate all consumers who bought their product for another year free use of their current license key. In the past, some other reputable manufacture of antimalware was affected by false-positive. Many manufacture has make credits or cache-back offers to get losted trust again.

I honestly believe that 100% reimbursement for my five (yes, FIVE! Two are 1-year and Three are 3-year licenses) paid licenses so I can buy a different product. And, since I had to take an unpaid leave day from work because I cannot use my BD disabled laptop to login since it quarantined so many system and app files for the Trojan.Fakealert.5 false positive, some way to request the hourly pay I missed.

+Quote Post
yoshifumu
post Mar 20 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 32,172

i would honestly just be happy if i got an extra license fee so i could reinstall and all.

+Quote Post
TheBigPJ
post Mar 20 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 32,420

(Disclaimer: All opinion based.)

An extended year license does not seem reasonable. People have lost trust in this product and in that should be given the option to choose an alternative product. From that comes the option of a 'full refund'.

In regard to there 'no liability' - the EU overrules this. And says you cannot have a no 'liability clause'. In the terms and conditions themselves they accept that 'a product refund' is the direction.

However due to the nature of this situation - just refunding the product price would not be enough in many cases. Depending on your computer damage and files lost NO court in there right mind would deem this acceptable. And would find it less acceptable to ONLY offer an entension of the license. Just google search 'Product Liability case law'.

Realistically:
- Price of the product returned (At minimum) <<< There best option
- Any costs to getting the computer fixed by a third party returned (With evidence provided - an invoice is fair play) <<<
- If it gets to court - its no telling to what amount the compensation could be paid out. Due to Bitdefenders lack of communication on the matter - this could be quite high. If they email'd all there users when this happened they could potientially avoided a hefty bill.

+Quote Post
ahumpage
post Mar 20 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 32,528

QUOTE (Matthias H. @ Mar 20 2010, 11:57 PM) *
In this Thread, it's all about appropriate compensation from issue of 20 March 2010!

+Quote Post
randy1617
post Mar 20 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 29,750

i want a full refund on my product so i can move to different software. bitedefender crashed my computer which took me 20 mins to get working again lucky i backup my computer a lot.

+Quote Post
jimwhite99
post Mar 20 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 32,540

I just want a refund. Why would I want a free license key when the program that was supposed to be protecting my computer infected it? That would be stupid.

I'm happily running no anti virus protection at the moment which is considerably safer than what I was running before.

I did a system restore a few reboots and 5 startup repairs to get my system running and consider myself lucky. Apparently the folks at BD don't use their own product as they've apparently not had any problems. That may have saved their computers but I don't think it'll save their company.

+Quote Post
jokingdude
post Mar 20 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 32,505

EVEN IF I get a compensation from this holy crap, I'll go away

+Quote Post
Kaminokaze
post Mar 20 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 32,552

I dont really know what to say, it took me 5 hours to put my computer back together, and we got 4 computers here, all running Bit Defender. Also i just installed it a few days ago, and bought the new license,..

I guess if Bit Defender would have to compensate all those people, it would be a death strike. If it isnt already a fatal blow as it is.

+Quote Post
Chimel
post Mar 20 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #11

Regular Poster

Member No.: 30,957

I'll be happy with a "I survived Trojan.FakeAlert.5" t-shirt. XXL organic cotton, please.
What about compensating BD for each of the other 364 days of each year when ###### does not happen?
Let's count ourselves lucky we didn't get any of the 4 previous internal FakeAlert test releases, if that's what they were.

This post has been edited by Chimel: Mar 20 2010, 11:35 PM

+Quote Post
TheBigPJ
post Mar 20 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 32,420

I have had to pay my local IT company to fix this for me.

So where/how do I make a claim for compensation?

+Quote Post
eastonch
post Mar 21 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 32,513

QUOTE (randy1617 @ Mar 20 2010, 09:45 PM) *
i want a full refund on my product so i can move to different software. bitedefender crashed my computer which took me 20 mins to get working again lucky i backup my computer a lot.

||
Considering thousand of non-tech savvy consumers are dieing at the moment.
Literally crying in the floor boards... its really not good now is it?

My pc was affected. i am now reformating after backing all my files up.

what a waste of a saturday. I WANT my 3user license key either A) Extended indefinetly, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Money back, C) a PC Technician to repair the damage its caused, including any bad sectors this ###### has done while trying to force reset and stuff.
OR! they should invite us all around for dinner. so we can stab the nub who didnt report this fault, or the company for now testing the bloody patch.

WHAT type of RENOWNED company DOESNT test any RELEASES. they should always go through a phase of testing, eg, 100 Xp's 32+64, 100Vista 32+64 & 100Win7 32+64 (50/50 splits) and if ANY fault arises. it should be addressed to immediatly. rather than users having to cry because theyre pc failed due to the laziness of some staff... christ.

I will also be looking into a Case-Sue.
Or even a Lawsuit agaisnt BitDefender for improper software development. they should of tested it. its a written / unwritten law.

You dont create a website and not test it before upload. thats daft.

You dont make a youtube video and dont preview it before its released to the millions of users.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT has weeks, sometimes even months Public Test Realming for all its users to try if they so wish to see the new patches and comment on any bugs or imbalances. and its also Assesed during the beta phases. it can alter to the finish product.
They also have closed Alpha Development Teams.

Nuff' Said.
Fix your Company BitDefender.

+Quote Post
ahumpage
post Mar 21 2010, 12:30 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 32,528

I believe I would like my money back at least. I have removed Bitdefender from my PC and will never use one of their products again. This error is inexcusable. Exactly how was this update tested before it was sent to unsuspecting customers?
I spent two hours and was lucky to get my PC back up and running from a system image on the second try. I believe I deserve compensation for that time.
It is crossing my mind to file suit in small claims court. I know BD will say their license agreement lets them out however legally, they cannot shield themselves from negligence. They had a duty of care to ensure their product would not cause damage, which it is clearly impossible for them to show.
Disgrace!!!

+Quote Post
eladanri
post Mar 21 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 32,575

I had to install everything from scratch cause BitDefender quarantined more than 10000 files from windows and programs.

Luckily I have all my files in another disk, so I didn't lost them with format, but having to install the OS and every single program is very time consuming.

This isn't the first time BitDefender shows false positives, but this time things went overboard.

What kind of trust can a consumer have on this product if any minute he risk losing everything to a faulty update, isn't there a test team to check for this things before releasing?

I used BitDefender 2008 and 2009 and never had any problems, ever since the release of 2010 version, quality declined to the point of starting to think on quit using this product.

+Quote Post
eastonch
post Mar 21 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 32,513

this is a ultimate fail from bitdefender. all technical dudes i chat with have confirmed to get away from BD.

+Quote Post
Mike B.
post Mar 21 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,851

I don't think anything they can do can fix the damage caused.

+Quote Post
Razer
post Mar 21 2010, 01:50 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 32,579

I really was going to buy another license of BitDefender IS 2010 but... I'm still going!!
I've been using BitDefender almost 3 years never add a problem with the program itself or virus problems and it isn't because one problem that my trust is broken!
BitDefender gain my trust by protecting me flawless!
For all of you who want to change to kaspersky!! Well i used kaspersky in the past and I just have one thing to tell you
I'D MORE FALSE POSITIVES WITH Kaspersky THAN WITH THE FALSE-POSITIVE OF TROJAN.FAKEALERT.5 CRISIS!!

+Quote Post
Valentin D.
post Mar 21 2010, 02:24 AM
Post #19

Technical Support

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Matthias H. @ Mar 20 2010, 10:57 PM) *

Matthias H., thank you, for this initiative.
@all - While our team strives to finalize the recovery tool, let's brainstorm together about a compensation algorithm that will, at least, ease the pain of tonight's struggle. Perhaps we will be able to find, together, an acceptable incentive for your efforts supporting us here. After all, you as our customers and us, especially in support, were in this together.

+Quote Post
Midnight Rain
post Mar 21 2010, 02:37 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 32,625

Most people just got files in the quarantine. On Windows 64-bit. From BD 64-bit. During a few hours of a weekend day. When most of them were not even at work.

BD updates, stops detecting false positives. People restore files from the quarantine - problem solved. I've had it, too. Back to normal, no fuss.

What damage? What compensation? I think people just got really scared and are now blowing off steam. I think many want compensation for emotional trauma, not any real damage.
In my opinion, the problem was handled nicely by the team by removing the false positive, and they are now working on a solution to handle all other situations.

This post has been edited by Midnight Rain: Mar 21 2010, 02:39 AM

+Quote Post

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 04:25 AM