> No Network Connection
Christian
post Nov 17 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #21

Bitdefender Support

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 9,374

Welcome back

The newer version of Bitdefender Rescue CD is based on another Linux distribution than the old one. This is why you can not manually update the signatures using cumulative.zip

This version is lighter, much more solid and loads a lot faster.

As I mentioned earlier, the only way to download the new definitions is to directly connect that machine to the internet.

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WEC777
post Nov 18 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 81,352

Nevermind, I figured it out myself. For anyone who's interested, here are the steps:
  1. Erase the files in "update" directory of the ISO image using a program like MagicISO or similar
  2. Grab & extract one of the following zip files into a folder called "update" within the ISO
    http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/up.../cumulative.zip
    http://upgrade.bitdefender.com/av32bit/cumulative.zip
  3. If it's not Monday, also grab weekly.zip & extract it over the top of "update", overwriting existing contents
  4. Burn the updated ISO to CD or use something to put it on USB (there are guides for this here and here)
  5. Boot the CD/USB
  6. Exit the scanner
  7. Copy the contents of the "update" directory into "/opt/BitDefender-scanner/var/lib/scan", overwriting the existing contents
  8. Run the scanner

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

+Quote Post
Christian
post Dec 4 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #23

Bitdefender Support

Hello

Interesting stuff. But please note that we do not recommend you to use this method.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
WEC777
post Dec 5 2011, 07:16 AM
Post #24

QUOTE (Cristi B. @ Dec 4 2011, 09:00 PM) *
Hello

Interesting stuff. But please note that we do not recommend you to use this method.

Thank you.

More than interesting, more than nice: it's a NECESSITY if a friend/customer/client/site has no Internet connection, or if time is at all valuable to either the customer or the technician.

I whole-heartedly agree that Bit Defender shouldn't recommend this method; they should IMPLEMENT it the way it was in the previous version rescue CD!

Moving backwards only loses customers & thus market share, and I don't think that's what your company's executives really want. \;^J

Just my .02, for whatever it's worth (maybe a bonus/raise/promotion, for you if you mention it to your super),
-wec777

+Quote Post
Christian
post Dec 14 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #25

Bitdefender Support

Welcome back

I will forward your back to our Project Manager. Thank you again for your support. Have a nice day.

+Quote Post
pompapah
post Jan 8 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 86,520

How often should we download a new Rescue CD?

+Quote Post
Christian
post Jan 8 2012, 06:39 PM
Post #27

Bitdefender Support

Hello

Just once. After that you can update it each time when you try to run a full system scan.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
WEC777
post Feb 12 2012, 02:47 AM
Post #28

So the newest Rescue CD doesn't allow modification (it's got a built-in CRC check for the squash file system), nor does it allow for a manual update as requested in this thread.

Furthermore, the server referenced by both the new & old Rescue CD's, namely http://upgrade.bitdefender.com/av32bit, has been disabled for downloading through web browsers in order to disallow us including it in a hacked manually-updated Rescue CD per my discovered work-around.

CoincidenceS? I don't think so.

Conclusion: BitDefender won't acknowledge the need for a manual update and NOW THEY WON'T EVEN LET US USE A WORK-AROUND! Bad form, BitDefender... or should I call you BigDefunker? What's your DAMAGE?!?

+Quote Post
Christian
post Feb 13 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #29

Bitdefender Support

Hello (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Some changes will be made in the near future to our servers.

Most of the update locations will be migrated so it can be used for other services too.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

+Quote Post
WEC777
post Feb 14 2012, 03:26 AM
Post #30

(responding as if that first sentence was grammatically correct)

If I'm translating correctly, that means we can download the updates in the future after the servers have been fixed; thank you.

Now what about the problem with changing the ISO file whereby the Rescue CD won't boot after any files (i.e. extracted CUMULATIVE UPDATE folder) are added so the ISO file structure looks something like this:

root
  • casper
  • cumulative
  • Docs
  • install
  • isolinux
  • [BOOT]
  • md5sum.txt
  • README.diskdefines
???

+Quote Post
smiley1081
post Mar 6 2012, 09:18 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 97,913

How do I specify the internet settings, given that I do not have DHCP activated?

I tried the procedure from the message by CRINWP on Jun 13 2011, and it SEEMS to connect but I cannot get it to update.

I admit that when I did that it was almost midnight, so I will try again, but having the ability to change the internet setting BEFORE the CD starts the scan it would be useful...

+Quote Post
firionicable
post Mar 20 2012, 05:07 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 99,510

Once you started using BD, it is better to download the rescue CD right away before getting some problems in the future.(IMG:http://imagicon.info/cat/13-31/good.gif)

+Quote Post
Christian
post Mar 20 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #33

Bitdefender Support

Welcome back.

Yes, is recommended to download the CD when you want to use it because we update it almost monthly with the latest signatures and updates.

Take care.

+Quote Post
mekkano
post Mar 22 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 42,639

WEC777,

Why to bothering yourself trying to find out how to manually and permanently update bitdefender-rcd? there are many other av rescue cds that can be updated. Just try Kaspersky rescue cd, you can update it using some .bat procedure (just google a little bit) or using its kaspersky updater gui. other alternatives are symantec's ghost 15 (you can download lastest av defs and extract and copy to your cd) or create a bootable cd or usb with symantec nbrt and keep them updated trhu its gui. You may give a try to either avira or avg emergency bootables cds, yes you can keep them updated in some what easy way. I realized you have the skills to figure out how to do it.

I'm pretty sure bitdefender does not care about adding a feature to update off-line its useless bd-rcd, useless because, as you said, may your friend, boss or whoever not have internet and no way to use the autoupdate feature or just because you have to scan many computers and i'm sure you don't want to download the same updates on every computer (imagine you have to scan 20+ computers)

By the way, panda's rescue cd is as useless as bitdefender because the same: no way to off-line update it!

Actually, I created a multi-boot usb with all above products mentioned, also included bitdefender but never used it because its uselessness of keep it updated. So when I have to recomend to a friend an av I recommend any of them except bitdefender.

I agree, might not care bit defender lose market share nor win a major portion of av industry's cake.

This post has been edited by mekkano: Mar 22 2012, 09:42 PM

+Quote Post
icebaloo
post Oct 28 2012, 07:34 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 116,079

Seems like the version 2013 have the same problem ...
http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/2013/

And in the menu , Network settings is grayed out ....

+Quote Post
Christian
post Nov 1 2012, 02:42 AM
Post #36

Bitdefender Support

Do you have a wireless connection?

Thank you!

+Quote Post
graham856
post Aug 6 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 152,122

QUOTE (Christian @ Oct 31 2012, 08:17 PM) *

Do you have a wireless connection?

Thank you!

No. I do not have a connection. Does this restriction still exist? It seems . . . . . .very odd to me. I have been disgusted with my prior AV provider and was excited about bit defender esp. this resue CD. But why require a connection? It seems obvious that BD is extracting info from the PC and pushing up to a database. What other possible reason would there be for the restriction? I must give kudos to the forum administrator for allowing someone to state that Kapersky does not have the restriction. I will be using them unless I hear this goofy restriction has been lifted. I suppose the logic may be that 'you get it for free so we at least get your info.' . . .maybe. I'd pay for the rescue CD but . . . . anyway. Thanks.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 08:27 PM