Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> System Tray Icon Is Missing After Last Major Update.
Knight55
post Apr 3 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,015

Hi. I have a copy of the BitDefender 2009 software installed on three computers. After a major update a few days ago, one of the computers stopped displaying the BitDefender system tray icon. It still appears to work but the icon is missing. All the BitDefender services are working and all the files are loading at startup. I tried performing a repair install as well as a complete removal and install but it did not help. The problem keeps on reoccurring right after the last major update where the computer is prompting to reboot. The other two computers don't have this problem. All the computers are running Windows XP. If you can suggest any fixes for this I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any advise.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
uteotw
post Apr 3 2009, 05:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,308

QUOTE (Knight55 @ Apr 3 2009, 03:55 PM) *
Hi. I have a copy of the BitDefender 2009 software installed on three computers. After a major update a few days ago, one of the computers stopped displaying the BitDefender system tray icon. It still appears to work but the icon is missing. All the BitDefender services are working and all the files are loading at startup. I tried performing a repair install as well as a complete removal and install but it did not help. The problem keeps on reoccurring right after the last major update where the computer is prompting to reboot. The other two computers don't have this problem. All the computers are running Windows XP. If you can suggest any fixes for this I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Sorry I can't help you, but I'm having the exact same problem. Most often the red icon does not appear on reboots, though the process appears to be running. Does this matter? I have tried an uninstall/reinstall but it didn't fix the problem, and I have no other security software running. Anyone??

+Quote Post
fgagnon
post Apr 3 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,002

... and I have the same issue, as well.
I really cannot add anything to the solution; however I have noticed that if I do nothing, after a half an hour or so, the BD icon quietly appears.

To the BD team >>> seeing multiple users with the same report indicates this is not an isolated issue.
Please respond to:
• acknowledge awareness,
or
• with questions for us to help correlate the behavior with something in our setups
or
• out of professional courtesy - even if you have no solution.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Viscon
post Apr 3 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #4

Regular Poster

Group: Regular Bitdefender Poster
Member No.: 16,365

same here.
icon disappeared entirely, and no re-appearance occurs.
additionally a popup windows comes up on me alerting about seccenter errors.
all services are being loaded, and BD seems to work, no icon though.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
StoBÄR
post Apr 4 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,822

Same problem too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Dear Bitdefender-Team, please give a solution to this problem as soon as possible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm using Vista 64bit, all services loaded, tray icon missing.

+Quote Post
Sm3K3R
post Apr 4 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #6

Frequent Poster

Member No.: 10,335

Check in Windows Services if Terminal Services service is Enabled and Automatic

+Quote Post
Viscon
post Apr 4 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #7

Regular Poster

QUOTE (Sm3K3R @ Apr 4 2009, 04:22 PM) *

yes, it is, and always been
still no icon

This post has been edited by Viscon: Apr 4 2009, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
Knight55
post Apr 4 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #8

Hi. I just wanted to update everyone on what I did so far. I completely removed the BitDefender 2009 software from the laptop. I then checked the registry for any BitDefender entries and deleted them all. I rebooted and installed the BitDefender software again from the latest download. The installation went successfully without any errors. I performed an update after the installation and the icon was still there at that point. The laptop did not ask me to reboot after the update. I rebooted the laptop and the icon did not appear and hasn't appeared since although all the services and files are still running. The only thing that is different between the three computers that I have is that the two computers that don't have this problem are desktops and the computer that does have this problem is a laptop. I hope the above information helps the BitDefender support team solve this problem.

+Quote Post
Viscon
post Apr 4 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #9

Regular Poster

hmm... my PC is desktop and does have this problem

+Quote Post
Knight55
post Apr 5 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Hi. I performed some further research and found new interesting results. The same laptop that has this problem has two login accounts. When I login to my account the BitDefender system tray icon does not appear but when I login to my wife's account on the same laptop it does appear. Both are administrative accounts so rights is not an issue. Now if I could only figure out what I need to copy from my wife's account to my account to make the icon appear again. I don't want to have to delete and create my hardware profile. If anyone from the BitDefender team can suggest what I need to copy I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

+Quote Post
Knight55
post Apr 5 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #11

I noticed one other thing today. Sometimes the Windows XP security center thinks that the Anti-Virus protection is off even though all the services are running and the anti-virus software appears to be running. This started happening after I disabled the anti-virus software temporarily to perform a virus scan from the Kaspersky website to make sure that the BitDefender scan did not miss anything. I rebooted the computer after I was done and the security center stopped seeing that the BitDefender Anti-Virus software is on. It is definitely running as far as I can tell though.

+Quote Post
Osip
post Apr 5 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 23,122

QUOTE (Sm3K3R @ Apr 4 2009, 05:22 PM) *

Been suffering from this problem as well for a long time...When I changed from manual to automatic it was fixed, I think manual is the default setting...

+Quote Post
Viscon
post Apr 5 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #13

Regular Poster

QUOTE (Osip @ Apr 5 2009, 11:03 PM) *
Been suffering from this problem as well for a long time...When I changed from manual to automatic it was fixed, I think manual is the default setting...

must be one of possible fixes
doesn't work for me though

+Quote Post
Diana Bele
post Apr 6 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #14

Technical Support

Member No.: 58

The first troubleshooting step is indeed enabling Terminal Services from the services list. If this fix does not work please boot the PC, and check if "bdagent.exe" is running in the process list. If it is not please go to Start - Run - msconfig - and check if bdagent shows up for Startup.

+Quote Post
Knight55
post Apr 6 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #15

Hi. In my case the terminal services are enabled in Windows. The "bdagent.exe" is also running. The problem occurrs in only one profile on my laptop. The other profile has no problems. Is there any file that I can copy over from one profile to the other to make this work?

+Quote Post
cybernomad
post Apr 6 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 21,128

Hi,

I use BD TS 2009 on Windows XP Pro SP3 installed on a desktop computer. BD was wrkin fine. But today, after a restart, the BD icon did not appear in the systray.

It had been happening for a while that the BD icon was takin sometime to load after startup, but today it disappeared completely. In better times, the BD taskbar icon appeared just after the Welcome screen, as soon as the volume icon was loaded.

Apart from that BD is working fine. Whenever I go into a folder with a lot of Exe files, vsserv.exe starts scannin them as always. The BD main window is accessible from Start Menu. And I can run scans normally. however there is no icon in systray.

There used to be 4 processes viz, bdagent.exe, livesrv.exe, seccenter.exe and vsserv.exe before. Since this problem started, There is no sign of seccenter.exe in processes after startup. However if i open BD TS 2009 from Start Menu or I open seccenter.exe from the BD installation folder in Program Files, seccenter.exe appears in processes and stays there even when I close the BD TS 2009 window.

I went to services.msc and checked teminals service. It was started but was set as manual. I changed it to Automatic as stated above and then restarted my computer. However there was no effect. there's still no sign of BD systray icon.

I have also noticed that since BD icon has disappeared, whenever I shutdown or restart my computer, an end program window opens for something called "bdagent switch" or "switch bdagent". This usually happens with programs that are not responding at the time of shutdown or restart. I have noticed this with many programs. whenever a program is acting weird and is not responding and u try to shutdown, u get a end program for that particular program. So i suspect that getting this end program for This bdagent Switch thing during shutdown suggests that this program is no responding.

What baffles me is why all of a sudden this started happening to me. I had not done any installs or anything.

Please help in light of above information....

+Quote Post
poetica
post Apr 9 2009, 06:36 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 19,427

Add me to the list as I'm also having the same problem with the sys tray icon not showing up at start up. Because I don't know if it's working properly I always restart and that usually works (sometimes multiple restarts are needed before it loads properly) and the icon returns but the problem occurs at least a couple of times a week and is a major waste of my time.

In addition, several times now BD has apparently stopped working for no known reason. It loads fine and updates ok so I think everything is ok but then later I'll just happen to notice that the icon has gone all black and if you mouse over it it will say something like "Bit Defender's services are unavailable. You need to restart to make them available again." It does NOT pop up something on the screen telling me I need to restart. Oh no, that might be helpful. It just goes all black and I have to actually see that it's black so I know that I need to restart. And in the meantime, if I'm busy or heaven forbid away from my computer for a few minutes, who knows if it's providing any protection at all or just leaving me hanging there without any. This has happened at least 3 times in the past month or so and has completely destroyed any confidence I had at all in BD since I don't feel comfortable leaving my computer unattended for more than a few minutes since I don't know if BD will continue to do its job or not. I feel like I have to babysit the program supposed to be protecting me, making sure it actually starts like it's supposed to and keeps working like it's supposed to. "Sometimes" is not protection and certainly not what I paid for.

I'm using Window XP with all updates and service packs and I update BD IS 2009 multiple times a day.

As someone else said, it would be nice to know that someone from BD is actually reading our messages and is aware of the problems and working on resolving them.

This post has been edited by poetica: Apr 9 2009, 06:38 PM

+Quote Post
gfcook
post Apr 11 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 23,277

QUOTE (Diana Bele @ Apr 6 2009, 05:52 PM) *
The first troubleshooting step is indeed enabling Terminal Services from the services list. If this fix does not work please boot the PC, and check if "bdagent.exe" is running in the process list. If it is not please go to Start - Run - msconfig - and check if bdagent shows up for Startup.

After reading many complaints on the web, my conclusion is that the missing BD2009 icon in the Notification Area (System Tray) of Win XP is a BUG. I would appreciate some action from BD to make a correction and issue a fix. Thanks.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

+Quote Post
cybernomad
post Apr 12 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 21,128

QUOTE (gfcook @ Apr 11 2009, 09:27 PM) *
After reading many complaints on the web, my conclusion is that the missing BD2009 icon in the Notification Area (System Tray) of Win XP is a BUG. I would appreciate some action from BD to make a correction and issue a fix. Thanks.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I second that. I think there are no people from BD in this forum. In the past I had a problem with an Acronis product and I tried their official forum for help. I got answers from their official representative. But this isnt the case here. There is no response from a BD staffer. I think posting here is of no use. The only reason we post here is because of the fact that it seems an official support forum. But we'd have to find some other medium to get our voices to reach BD.

And to BD I'd say this...Congrats on the great products you provide, but if u wont hear the voice of the consumer, they'll have no option but to move on.

+Quote Post
RobbyG
post Apr 16 2009, 02:13 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 19,563

Same problem here with the missing tray icon. Was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what happened until I came here and saw this thread. At least I know I'm not alone! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2014 - 09:02 PM